1953 Buick Special gas tank issue? Help needed.

53BuickIL

Hello all. The other day I was headed to a car show in my 53 Buick Special. The gas tank was full. On the way home, when the tank had about a quarter of a tank left, the car started sputtering, like it wasn't getting enough gas. Even when I depressed the accelerator to the ground, I only went 45 mph tops. Do you all think that this might be a gas tank issue? Seems like this only happens when the tank gets to around 1/4 tank. Any hints or suggestions?

Nathan

Either you have junk in the tank and it needs to be cleaned, or your gauge is off...Vapor lock could also be a possibility, although if it only happens with the gauge at a certain point, I'd lean toward the other two...

Thanks for the advice. The car started the sputtering and 45 mph maximum acceleration thing about 40 miles from home. Could an "almost empty" gas tank take me that far is my gauge is that far off? I agree with you that it is probably a gas tank issue. Why isn't there a problem, then, when the tank is full... what's the difference? Thanks, Nathan.

There might be scale or sediment blocking the pickup, but it only shows up when the fuel is low enough to cover the pickup...just a guess...maybe it floats to the top of the fuel level when you fill the tank...