Industrial engine ID help

Rusty_OToole

I'm trying to identify an old Chrysler industrial engine. It is a flathead 6 Model DO-32. Serial number 8879. Block casting number CWD 40029-6

Here is a link to some photos of the engine, on another bulletin board.

http://forum.olskoolrodz.com/showthread....sler+industrial

What I want to know is the bore and stroke of the engine, and any other pertinent information. I have in mind to put it in a 1951 DeSoto. The DeSoto's original engine is long gone, at the present time it has a rather worn Dodge truck engine in it and I would like to upgrade to a 265.

The engine in question, if it is a 265, has all the other desirable attributes such as full flow oil filter, and heavy duty parts. I believe it would be an excellent engine to rebuild for my car. If it is the 265 model.

Can anyone help, or tell me where I can look up the information? It seems fairly easy to ID a car or truck engine, but info on the industrial serial numbers is not available on the net. I have been looking for a couple of days with no results.

Rusty,

Accordig to my Chrysler Industrial Engine Manual (Dated 10/57) the IND 30 and IND 31 are both 230 cubic inches. The IND 32 and IND 33 are both 265 cubic inches. Bore and stroke are 3.43 X 5.75. Compression ratio of the 265's is 6.8 to 1. The IND 31 and IND 33 have a gear driven camshaft while the IND 30 and 32 were chain driven.

The IND 16A is also a 265 engine while the IND 8A is a 251 block. The IND 16A and 8A used sodium valves and iron pistons. The IND 32 and IND 33 used cast iron pistons with optional aluminum pistons.

Since your Desoto used the longer 25" block, the 265 should plug right in. I really like your bolted on full flow oil filter. Most of these engines came with a vibration damper.

I have an IND 251 block with an IND 265's rods and crank. My cam is out of a Chrysler Crown Marine engine and is gear driven. I have the aluminum pistons and a large vibration damper off a Dodge 265 truck engine. The ignition is a Langdon Stovebolt 12 volt GM HEI neg ground. Tom Langdon from Stovebolt Engine Co. built the junkyard special for me and was able to find a rare 25" vintage Edmunds aluminum head. He also gave the valves a 3 angle cut and found a vintage Dodge 265 optional dual intake and exhaust. I removed the governor from the Carter Carbs. The old steel water distribution tube was replaced with a Crown Marine brass tube. The heavy flywheel was replaced with a NOS aluminum unit. Tom also mated a T5 tranny out of a Chevy S10 pickup to give me an effective overdrive and 5 forward speeds. This worked well for me since my '37 Dodge has a floor shifter.

You have a very desirable engine. I would have liked a Crown Marine block because some of the innards were made from brass to avoid salt corrosion. I think having the sodium valve 265's would have been neat too. Keep on surfing the net and your old engine manuals at the library and you can find out a lot more about these engines.

Good luck with your project

Here's some photos of my work in progress: http://home.comcast.net/~stangeba/wsb/ht...ue-skip-15.html

You can reach Tom Langdon through his web site: http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. Today I went out to check out the engine, about an hour's drive away. The head measured 25 1/4" long so it is the DeSoto/Chrysler block. The bore and stroke measured 3 7/16 by 4" even.

This works out to be a 222 or 223 cu in engine. First off I never knew they made one with that short of a stroke.

My measurement was done with a steel machinist's ruler. I suppose I could be off by 1/16 but not as much as 1/8. But I swear it is a 4" stroke.

I may buy it anyway, or trade for it. Am waiting to see if I can get a reground crank and recon rods, 4 3/4 stroke from the local NAPA store.

Rusty.

Interesting! Here's some tips Tom Langdon from Langdon's Stovebolt Engine Company told me. You can tell if you have a 265 by removing the the bolt hole on the cylinder head by #6 cylinder and turning the engine over to check the stroke. If you can't turn the engine over, you can drop the oil pan and check the rod bolts. 265 blocks use a unique different shaped rod bolt that has a head that is round and looks like a nail head (about 1/8"). If you can't take the pan off or turn the engine over and you are able to remove the fuel pump, you may be able to see the rod bolt through the fuel pump opening in the block to see if it has the "nail head" shaped rod bolt.

I was talking with Tom Langdon the other day and he has a couple 265 blocks just pulled from a salvage yard. One of the blocks has the full full oil filter provision built into the block.

I am running one of these blocks in my 1937 Dodge Pickup. Tom found an IND 265 block at the salvage yard the pistons, rod and crank were in great shape but the block was cracked. He then found an IND 251 block that was in excellent condition and dropped the 265 crank and rods into the 251 block and I was good to go. You might do well to give him a call.

http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/contact.htm

• 1 month later...

The engine mentioned above turned out to be a 225 cu in Industrial engine, 3 7/16 bore by 4 1/16 stroke.

"225" is stamped on the ID plate but the area around it is partly obliterated, plus I confused the 225 industrial engine with a slant 6 of the same size. But apparently they made a 225 industrial engine.

The engine was made in Trenton Michigan by the Chrysler industrial engine division.

Since then I bought the remains of a 265 with a badly cracked block. By using the 265 crankshaft and rods I should be able to build a good 265 for my DeSoto.

So far as I know there should be no problem fitting this engine to the Fluid Drive trans out of a 51 DeSoto, should there?

A little Canadian history here. The Canadian branch of the Chrysler Corporation began making their own engines in the late 30s, 1938 or 39. But they made only one block, the long 25" block used in US Chrysler and DeSoto.

To make an engine suitable for Plymouth and Dodge they made a smaller version that was never made in the US.

For many years they made a 3 3/8" bore version of this block with a 4 1/16 stroke for 218 cu in. This was used in Plymouth, Dodge,and Dodge trucks.

They also made a 228 to take the place of the Dodge 230. It had a 3 3/8 bore and 4 1/4 stroke. I believe the same bore and stroke was used in prewar DeSoto and Chrysler.

This also means any Chrysler flathead six engine is a bolt in swap for any Canadian Plymouth, Dodge,DeSoto or Chrysler from the late 30s up.

• 7 years later...