Proper restoration of taillight reflectors

capgage

Check out this discussion.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos...60598d50c2677ba

Seems like there are arguments for and against rechrome for reflectors.

I am trying to decide whether to rechrome my taillight reflectors or do something else, was wondering what recommendations/experience anyone may have. I assumed rechroming was the way to go, but I have discovered that the reflective surface is actually something different which is soluble in laquer thinner. Also the reflector, back and front, seems to be coated with some sort of enamel (like ceramic enamel) prior to this reflective stuff being added to one side. This stuff is NOT soluble in laquer thinner, I had previously thought it was paint. I think the reflective stuff may be some kind of silver, or aluminum deposit.

Not trying to get factory perfect here, hell I may just blast and paint with "chrome" reflective paint. Some say chrome is only 67% reflective, while the aluminum coating (this is what the "chrome" paint really is essentially) provides more like 90% reflectivity for brighter lights.

Mark

Guest SLO Ken

I've used white paint to brighten up taillight reflectors in the past. Not factory correct, but for driving it made a huge improvement. I can't speak to the "chrome" paint though. It may be even better.

-Ken-

• 3 weeks later...

I "re-chromed" the plastic reflectors in my '86 BMW 635 as follows: 1. remove reflector, clean, dry and tape off the bulb sockets; 2. spray with black 'plastic-compatible' spray paint. This is your 'primer' coat for the plastic; 3. give the reflector at least two coats of aluminum enamel.

Two years out and the reflectors look like OEM.

Tony

1950 Buick Riviera 54K miles

1950 Buick Flxible Ambulance