1925 Tourer - rear main seal

Hi guys, When I stripped my spare motor, there was a felt rear main seal in 2 halves. When I stripped the motor that broke the crank, so felt seal! The motor was professionally rebuilt in 1990, flywheel was pretty wet with oil. Could it have been chewed up and dragged out? Is there any secrets to installing? I will try and order a new rear seal from the guys in Melbourne, is there a modern alternative? Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Marty

Oh, and by the way, I have decided to use the steel rods, as they are balanced to the crank. Another quick question, there seems to be 2 methods of securing the bolt that holds the wrist pin in place, the ones that are drilled are fitted with a large split pin to stop them turning, and the solid ones are fitted with an anti shake washer and a lock nut. Which is the preferred method for you guys?

Cheers

Marty

Guest imported_RAH

Marty,

Look at the crank. If there is a sharp razor blade ring at the rear where those three bolt slingers are located there should NOT be any felt in them. These are designed to catch the oil that is 'slung' off that sharp flange and redirece it back down to the pan (sump)via that hole in the bottom flange. There WILL be a felt glued to the bottom of the rear main that seals to the web in the rear of the pan. Good Luck. Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info on the wrist pin retaining bolts, both type seem to thread in fine.

Hi Rodger,

Both the cranks have the knife edge ring around them. So, the top half has a plate held to the crankcase with screws, and the bottom half in the sump has a felt seal? Not sure what you mean by the 3 bolt slingers. So the felt is glued to the actual bearing outer shell? That makes sense from the remains I found during the pulldown. Thanks guys, you are really a great help.

Cheers

Marty

Guest imported_RAH

Marty,

Perhaps my terminology is fuzzy. I was talking about exactly what you just referred to as the plate fastened to the block and the other half in the pan. NEITHER of these shall have felt in them! The only felt 'seal' is the one glued to the bottom of the rear main cap. Do make certain that plate on the bottom rear of the pan has a hole in the bottom for the oil that collects can return into the pan.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Hi Rodger,

No, that makes perfect sense. I know exactly what you mean now. Thanks, greatly appreciated. I am sure I will have more questions for you as the rebuild continues. Tommorrow I am hoping to get a whole day of work on the Dodge.

Cheers

Marty