removing starter from 32

tbirdman

I wanted to remove it so I can paint the body the proper wrinkled black, but I am unsure on how to remove it. It appears to be one bolt holding the starter on the engine on my 32. It looks like you undo this bolt, slip out the starter and repace it the same way. Or am I missing something? Thanks.

Guest BillP

While it's off it might be a good time to take it apart, check bushings and brushes. Hard to find correect brushes but you don't need to as you can shape (file) newer brushes to fit. On my 34, made brushes from one of those gear reduction Chrysler starters for around 1970. Brand: Leece-Neville? Find an old timer auto electrician with a bin full of junk; likely something there, or napa.

Thing with a starter is that if brushes are too far worn, the starter, working fine the last time you used it, won't at all the next time. Difficult if you're out driving somewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While it's off it might be a good time to take it apart, check bushings and brushes. Hard to find correect brushes but you don't need to as you can shape (file) newer brushes to fit. On my 34, made brushes from one of those gear reduction Chrysler starters for around 1970. Brand: Leece-Neville? Find an old timer auto electrician with a bin full of junk; likely something there, or napa.

Thing with a starter is that if brushes are too far worn, the starter, working fine the last time you used it, won't at all the next time. Difficult if you're out driving somewhere. </div></div>

The strater was rebuilt about 4K miles ago. So don't know if I need to look at the brushes at this point.