Type of bolts for wheel to brake drum (1924 DB)?

1924DB

I'm replacing the tires on my '24 DB business coupe and, in doing so, I am also replacing the 20" wooden wheels on the rear of the car that had been installed by the original owner with original 24" wheels. The old 20" wheels had only one set of drum brake bolts encircling the center hub but the new 24" wheels (see photo) have a second set of bolt holes that also go through the wood spokes into the brake drum. Since my new 24" wheels did not come with any bolts, my question is, what sort of bolts are used in this outer ring of six bolts? The inner circle of bolts appear to be standard 7/16" square-bottomed carriage bolts and the outer circle appear to be 3/8" bolts of some sort. Can anyone tell me what kind of bolts should be used in the outer circle? They appear to have had a washer against the wood but it may be the head of a bolt of some sort. The wood around each of the outer holes does not contain square depressions as would have resulted had square-bottomed carriage bolts been previously used. Any help is appreciated.

Dodge_Broth_24in_Rear_Wheel.JPG

Boss bolts? That's a new one on me. Is there any danger in damaging the wheels if I go ahead and put my hubs back on with only the center hub bolts for the time being? As I may have sold my shop building, I may have to vacate in the coming weeks and I need to get the new tires on so the car can be moved. The car will not be driven, just rolled a few feet to the door of the shop, then winched on my trailer. Ron

The later 21" wheels have no extra bolts, don't remember on the 20" but they are to reduce the stress from take off and braking on the long spokes. Not going to hurt anything just moving it around or in my opinion driving it easy but find some and put them in before regular use.

Dave

Guest EJoyce

If you determine that the bolt size is 3/8"-16 x 2 1/2" long or smaller/shorter you can buy new fluted round headed bolts at mcmaster.com. Item #98060A740. I have bought smaller size bolts from them to reassemble my wooden bed on my Graham Brothers. Buy right off website using credit card and they will arrive in a couple days. They have alot of specialty bolts which can be used on old cars. If heads have markings I just grind off and paint. Hope this works.

Ed

Thanks. I'll take a look at McMaster.com. I know the bolts are 3/8 size but I'll have to recheck the lengths. However, I can always cut off any extra length after I install the nuts inside the brake drum. The likely problem will be the head size as I am told the large round impressions you see in the wood spokes are from the large heads of the original bolts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a shot of the head s of the Boss bolt and on the right is a hub bolt. </div></div>Wow! That is a large head. Thanks for the information. Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Ron

Guest John1918

Take a look at the attachment on my post 'Dodge rim bolts'. I included a pic of a boss bolt, the head is oval, measuring 1" x 3/4" and the bolt is 1+15/16" long x 3/8" UNF. John