mystery cars on tour

29 Chandler

A friend of mine sent me a picture of some cars on tour. He would like to know what they are. He wrote:

"Taken in 1928-29 at NAS San Diego, the airplanes are Boeing F2B-1 fighters assigned to VF-1B. The car in the foreground carries a sign on the windshield that reads "Flagship". The placard above the license plate reads something illegible, then "Silver Fleet" which is repeated on the flag on the left hand running board. On the back of the photo is a hand written notation that indicates the cars were visiting the NAS during their transcontinental tour. What kind of cars are they and what was the nature of the tour? Any help would be most welcome."

If anyone you have any clues we would love to hear them.

Thanks,

post-31249-14313792923_thumb.jpg

Guest 1928Packard526

Chris ?

I agree with jrbartlett that the second car is a '29 Packard and the sedan behind that may also be a Packard of similar age. Part of the top, bumper and wheel that is visible appears to match That of a '28 or '29 Packard. The lead car I believe is a '29 Lincoln. The radiator shape, lights, horn position, fender shape and the appearance of the bumper all look right for that model car. I happen to be in the process of restoring an example of just those two vehicles. My Packard is '28 model 526 sedan,(very similar), and my Lincoln a '29 Judkins coupe.

Pete