Decaliforniaizing a Reatta?

Wondering if is wise, possible, feasable to remove all the emissions stuff on a Ca. car thats now in Fl. My gas mileage was less than expected on the drive home and thought that might be partilly related to the addons. Of course the 78-80mph could have had its effect. Any other things to be suspicious of, like plugs etc.? Air filter is clean, engine purrs, and performance seemed OK.

What was the mileage. I was not aware Reatta made a "California" car. I bought mine in Texas, got it smog tested and licensed here without doing anything to the car. I get 23-24 with about 65% freeway mileage [70-75 mph]. This may not be New York, but San Diego County is signal/stop sign happy.

Was under the impression all cars sold in Ca. had special emissions stuff on them.<BR>Not sure what year that started but have heard about it frequently.

Don't think California cars had any different emission equipment than 49 state cars. California cars do have additional emission testing that the buyer pays for on the window sticker.<P>Unlike the old days when the belt could be disconnected from the AIR pump and the hose to the EGR plugged, the newer cars are best left alone. There really isn't anything to disconnect anyway that would make any difference. The computer knows! smile.gif" border="0

No indications in any of the Buick publications that the California cars were any different from the rest of the world. <P>Although the '91 had a different final drive ration than earlier models, (2.93/3.33) that doesn't affect the mileage more than 1 mpg.<P>I would try some injector cleaner and change the oxygen sensor (they are cheap)

For me it was easy. A one way ticket to southern California, handed Jerry the money, put the top down, shades on and headed back to Michigan. One Reatta, decaliforniaized!! cool.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0

Guest Shaffer

I always understood that California cars had more emission control systems on them. I thought only recently that all cars met the standard. At any rate, be careful. When tampering with emission control systems, the CHECK ENGINE lights tend to come on - especially on 80s thru early 90s General Motors cars.<P>Tony<BR>72 Buick Electra<BR>89 Pontiac Safari<BR>91 Honda Accord