lowering fan turn on temp.

reatta91

Guest imported_dantm4

I think you need to have the computer chip reprogrammed. There are hardware applications out there, but the chip is probably the easiest. Try GMtuners.com.

-Dan

90' Black/Tan coupe

Guest F14CRAZY

Yup, you'd first want to go with a 180 degree thermostat, and that itself makes a heck of a difference.

If you'd still like to have your fans programmed after replacing the thermostat, then yes, Ryan of GMtuners.com can fix you up

a) manual override only works if key is on but engine is off.

B) I have a 180F Stant Superstat. Fans are set for LO to come on at 185 and off at 182. HI comes on at 189 and off at 186. Usually runs 179-181 when driving but may turn fans on at a stoplight. Haven't seem anything over 190F for years and I live in central Florida.

Now you guys have got me paranoid. I drove my car to see what mine would do. Water temp got as high as 206,low of 193, only I had mine set at economy. High today of 50 degrees. When I got home fan was not running. When I switched it on a/c, then fan ran. However I only have ONE FAN on my '89. Is that correct?

Also my volt gauge read as high as 15.4 volts with a low of 13.8 volts. Is this range also normal?

Thanks for easing my now troubled soul.

you have two fans at the radiator. i cant get the one closest to the engine to come on in override. but it hasnt been warm in the 3 feet of snow we got.

I also, by the way, recently replaced my thermostat with either a 185 or 195 super stat thermostat. Is that o.k,? OOPS! I feel like a dummy. Read my service manual and saw that there are 2 fans,one on each side of radiator. Still wonder why everyone talks about a 180 degree thermostat when the service manual calls for a 195. Also any answer on the 13.9 to 15.2 voltage swing on my volt gauge?