'54-'56 5- and 6-bolt manual trans; Length the same?

brad54

Finally finally finally! I've found a '54-'56 6-bolt trans. It's close (only two states away!), it's complete, and it's cheap.

I'm getting the complete set-up, and want to replace the 5-bolt manual trans currently in my '54 Special. Well actually, I want to replace the 5-bolt trans currently on the floor of my shop, because it's broke.

Anybody happen to know if the transmissions are the same length, or am I going to go through all kinds of hassles shortening the driveshaft and torque tube?

I know they used a different bellhousing, clutch/pressure plate, but if I have this right, they were behind the 322 in the Century and Super...the Century shared the Special chassis, so I'm really hoping they also shared the manual-trans torque tube length.

Anybody?

Thanks

Brad

Brad

The parts book lists one torque tube for all models 40-60 and another for all models 50-70.

There is an early and late tube for the small and big series, and I have no idea what this means...probably has to do with the rear. Anyhow if you are using your old one it would have no effect on your project.

Willie