Hydraulic lifter noise

CRCAIN

All of you straight eight experts - when new, was the Buick straight eight a QUIET engine? My rebuilt 263 engine with hydraulic lifters runs beautifully but the lifters are very noisy. Almost the only items not replaced/rebuilt were the lifters and valve train (rocker arms) because the machine shop that rebuilt the engine assured me they were OK. They do quiet down some when the engine is fully warm but are still noisy. I can't imagine anyone buying a new 1950 Buick with this much lifter noise, especially when compared to my whisper quiet 1949 Packard that has not been rebuilt. I use premium grade 10-40 oil and change oil and filter q 6 months; total miles between changes at most 1500 miles. As already stated, the engine performs superbly - just noisy - Is there anything I can do to quiet the lifters? Thanks for your help.

Charlie Cain

Texas

1948 Buick with 1950 263 engine

1949 Packard Super Eight

1956 MGA

Guest imported_JPIndusi

My 1953 Buick Special had a very quiet engine and it got quieter since I adjusted the valve lash as

described in the shop manual. The Dynaflow equipped cars had hydraulic lifters for

most years. In some years the standard transmission used solid lifters. However, the Old

Guy or perhaps others will know if all the 263 engines had hydraulic lifters regardless

of the transmission.

Also, in my experience, the older low compression flathead straight eights, such as on the

Pontiacs and Packards, were quieter than overhead engines. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the valve train is down low in the block and not up high on the head with just

a metal cover to lessen the normal rocker arm and pushrod sounds.

Joe, BCA 33493