Trans. not shifting

JWC

Well my 89 turned 171,000 miles and was running and driving like a top, until yesterday when it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear until about 2 miles down the road, and today the same thing happen. I checked the trans fluid and all is well there.

After driving it for a couple of miles it seems to start working but I would like to know if any one knows how to fix this problem.

I would rather not think about using this car as a parts car yet since it has never let me down.

Guest CL_Reatta

I am having the same problem, on mine it does not shift out of first until I have two bars on the temp gauge. Changed the modulator but that didnt help. I am planning on changing the transmision fluid per what was suggested I do. For now I just Floor it when driving down my street, and usually by the time I hit 30 it will shift and keep acting normal. But only if I floor it.

Guest F14CRAZY

You can access it from under the hood. It's the goofy device that has a vacuum line running to it in front of the transmission, kinda below the corrugated air intake hose.

I don't know exactly what the symptoms are, but I replaced it when mine was shifting really hard and it cured it. If you get one, go to Advance, and "install it with everything". It'll say its for like old transmissions, but it'll do just fine. I believe its one nut that holds it with like a clip. Around $18 and in stock normally.

There's the TV cable too, but I don't know enough about it, or trsnaxles for that matter, to be able to give you any useful info.