MAF

Guest Jack91

I've had two of the things fail in the last two years (two different cars) Both failures were accompanied by a situation described as follows:

While accelerating or cruising, the RPM's are what you would expect them to be at the given throttle positions but when you back off the accelerator pedal, as when coasting down a slight grade, you will notice a cyclic drop and rise in the RPM's every few seconds or so. You don't even need to look at the tach. If you pay attention to the head mounted on your shoulders you will notice a slight nodding movement. So...

If your SES light is on and you're setting E034 and you're nodding while coasting... change out the Sensor. You could try to clean it as per F-14 and it may work just fine. Be advised that the two wires string between the four posts on the sensor very fine. I've found that a microscope comes in handy for the job.

Price used at a "U pull it" about $10.00

Price at local Autozone is about $80.00 - $90.00.

It could be tested with a frequency meter. Some better voltmeters have a frequency setting. Actually the diagnostics will read the air flow the ECM is seeing. The other common way to test it is tap on the black plastic cover with the engine idling with something like a screwdriver handle. If the engine stumbles, the MAF is bad. Cleaning the wires is a good first step also. Most other heated wire type MAF's have a "burn off" cycle that occurs when the engine is shut down. A higher than normal voltage is applied to remove contaminants. Our MAF does not use this feature and they can get "stuff" on the wires.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update ON the MAF problem.I had the SES light But the reading on the diagnosics were not way off.The symtoms were very poor idle,chuggling and rough shifting. Got a used MAF from Jim Finn,installed it. Light is out and car is running well.I believe this will take care of a little chuggle I get in OD with light pedal.I've driven about sixty miles and it has not occured.Thanks to those who offered comments.--Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Well sorry to say it did not cure the OD chuggle.It did take care of eveything else.As far as the chuggle,I have replaced most of secondary ignition(plugs,wires,coil} O2 sensor, MAF etc.I have been reading this column and have the shop manual.Has anyone resolved this issue on their own Buick? Thank you --Jack