54 ford mainline brake light problem

wills51

hi guys this is kind of hard to explain so bare with me! im having problems with my brake lights both coming on at the same time the problem is that one will light up but not the other but when i turn on the turn signal flasher for the brake light thats on it will start flashing and then the brake light that wasnt working will work so ill turn off the turn signal and the brake light that was working in the first place wont(hope you can understand that)So now the brake light that wasnt working in the first place is working but not the one that was working in the beginning so everytime i turn on the turn signal for the brake light thats working it starts flashing and seems like it transfers the brake light power to the one thats not working ,then on top of all that sometimes i step on the brakes and i cant get ethier brake lights to work at all! can anyone help me??

Guest Randy Berger

It may well be grounds, but your brake light wires run through the turn signal switch.

That is why <span style="text-decoration: underline">normally</span> you can have one brake light blinking for a turn while the other one stays lit. This switch may be bad and cause the same problems you are having.

I'm with Randy on this one. Also before you tear everything up searching for a bad ground, try the simple problems first. checking the turn signal switch and associated wiring takes less time and if it's the problem, then you didn't waste all that time on grounds (and possibly causing a ground problem where there wasn't one in the first place). Trying to find a bad ground has been known to cause some forms of insanity.