Engine Identification

Doug22

Just purchased a car. I was told it had a 455 from a 1969 W-30 and that it was an experimental engine. The number for the block is a "396026C" - not "G". It has "C" heads, "Z" exhaust manifolds, "E" intake and the stamp on the oil tube is "8094630". Anyone hear of a "C" code 400?

Wayal- 1969 W30 engines were those rotten G block 400s, and 396026 is the common casting # for those. Clean that area up good. I think you have a standard C-head 68-9 442 400. Take it you've checked the VIN pad?

As a rule, an experimental would not have got out of the engineering labs, but I learned long ago to never say never about GM. Have you run this thru 442.com or realoldspower?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm coming up blank on the VIN pad. </div></div>

Meaning that you can't find it or that it is really blank? If it's really blank, this is a replacement block. The dealership was supposed to re-stamp the VIN derivative when installing a replacement block, but may not have.