1930 Buick Generator

Guest sndtubes

Guest sndtubes

Here is another concern about my beloved (it better be beloved after the amount of money I've spent) 30 Buick coupe.

When I got the car the generator had a burnt up armature winding. I had the winding replaced by Precision Power and it lasted a month or 2 and burned up again. I sent it back and they replaced it but turned down the charging rate to only about 10 amps. It's been fine ever since, but it really doesn't even carry the headlights at the rate it is charging. I'm afraid to adjust the 3rd brush to increase the rate as the armature winding might burn out again. It runs at about - 5 amps when the headlights are on low beam. Oh, and yes, the cut-out was replaced.

I also have some beautiful Trippe Lights which help greatly when it is really dark, but they REALLY suck the current and will kill the battery if I use them more than a few minutes.

My question is this: Has anyone either A) had their generator guts converted to an alternator, or B) has anyone tried hanging an extra generator/alternator on to their car? Or is there another solution to this problem other than only driving during the day! (actually I avoid driving at night, anyway.) I plan on installing a radio (I have a very cool early Atwater Kent car radio I'm going to install) and I'm sure the generator simply will not keep up. Any ideas?

I put a 6 volt 50 amp alternator on my Pontiac 20 years ago. (this is my daily driver , about a thousand miles a month) I run with 50/32 candlepower headlights and drive many hours after work. Up here, north of the 49th, half the year it is dark by 6:30. My 3 brush generator even when set to maximum could not keep the battery charged. I have never regretted it. When I start in the morning it is only about a mile until the battery is topped up and it dosen't matter wether my lights are on or off or on high beam, ammeter reads zero. I mounted mine in such a way that I used the original belt and adjusting bracket. It is a one wire unit so I can remove the lower bracket from the block unplug the one wire and reinstall my generator in about five minutes. The only problem I encountered was to find a small enough pulley so that the alternator spins fast enough to kick in about 5 mph. The pulley cost me more than the alternator.

Guest sndtubes

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I'd be interested in a 6 volt alternator. Ralph: do you also sell mounting hardware? I'd be interested in talking to you about buying an alternator.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my generator. Even if I had it set at full tilt 20 amps, it really wouldn't be enough to handle the demand of the driving lights and a radio and possibly a heater fan if I ever install a heater.

thanks

Mike

At the Buik meetthere was a car like yours with an alternator,It was mounted on the right side of the engine,driven with a belt/ If you could get ahold of a picture,that would be fine.The alternator would run counter-clockwise,but I could come up with a fan for it.Make your own bracket.