kind of off topic wrench - tool question...

Roadster90

Folks, I have has a wrench (open end on one side and boxed on the other) that does not have a size. It is a Snap-On and has the following on the shank: WOEX 80 USA 8. Where a size would normally be teh follow is stamped: OBA

any ideas waht this wrench is or was used for?

Thanks,

Nic

Went to the Snap-on site, and put in that number. I comes back with "we're sorry, try again"

the have a customer service site, write to them and surely they can tell you. I tried searching under WOEX 80 USA 8, and also under WOEX 80. No results for either number. The WOEX is their prefix, but the rest does not compute!! Here is their site, try CS

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/searchnot...tatus=NoneFound

The OBA wrench is part of a set of British size wrenches used before the second war and just after.

They are not the same as the SAE sizing used on North American vehicles prior to going metric. They are often hard to find when you need one, of course.

F14, no they're not SAE or metric, in fact the other Whitworth sizes refer to the width of the head of the bolt not to the diameter of the bolt as modern wrenches do. Confusing... yes but if working on prewar British bikes or cars it is important to use these wrenches so as to not damage the head of the bolt. Hard to replace the bolts also.