burned brake relays

Dusty

Has anyone noticed their 3 brake relays on firewall having a burned appearance on the top? It appears that the exhaust manifold gets quite hot (although it is wrapped in heat tape) and partially melts the connections at the top. Brake systems check out fine, but I am really concerned about melted appearance. shocked.gif" border="0

Guest Greg Ross

When I bought my '88 3 and a 1/2 years ago I didn't know anything about the function of those relays but replaced them anyway because of the appearance you mention. The substitute part number the GM Dealer offers now is a different housing style and can be forced to fit. Barney mentioned in Buffalo that Auto Zone carries the right part for around $7.00<BR>The heat wrapping Dusty mentions is not the exhaust manifold, it's a wiring harness right above the Exhaust Header. <BR>I assumed when I noticed the scorched appearance of these relays that a vehicle that's driven in alot of stop and go traffic, this area of the engine compartment is not getting much air cieculation and must get pretty HOT.<BR>By sheer coincidence, When I first bought the car the ABS light occasionally came on. By the very same coinsidence, after replacement of these three relays the ABS function light didn't come on any more!<BR>Have a good look Folks, Centre/ Left on the Fire Wall.