About problem of alcohol mix in gas-destroys rubber!

noreastcarnut

[color:red] What can us older car owners do about the problem of the latest gasoline-alcohol mix that destroys rubber parts (diaphrams,gaskets,filters, rubber gas hose). My friends and I see that our fuel filters are turning black inside due to the rubber disolving on the gas lines. The gas tanks that were lined years now ago will be breaking down and clogging up the filters.

Does anyone know what to do? :confused:

Guest Randy Berger

I had my tank relined by Gas Renu and replaced the fuel line hose(a short one from metal line to fuel pump) with a neoprene hose. I checked the fuel pump and am guessing they put in a neoprene diaphragm when it was rebuilt. I was getting black crud in the ceramic filter and installed an inline filter ahead of the fuel pump and a new ceramic filter and gasket.

The new rubber fuel line is quote alcohol-resistant; which means it will last somewhat longer than the older stuff.

Put on a good inline filter, and carry at least one (and the tools to change it) with you.

Replace ALL of the old rubber fuel lines immediately, and again every couple of years.

Jon.