Chrysler Tube axle

texkbc

• 2 weeks later...

They used a tubular front axle on Dodge in 1934, I think the Airflow may have had a tubular axle 34 - 37 as well. I know they had a solid axle, from 35 on other Chryslers were independent.

The 37 and 38 Dodge and Plymouth had an I beam axle. Sorry I can't be more specific but I know they did use a tubular front axle in 34 and possibly for a couple of years afterwards.

Guest imported_woodwheels

Dodge and Plymouth first used the tubular front axle for '33 models. It was a new steel called molibdinum which was much stronger than the I beam design axle used for used for years by everyone. In '34 Dodge and Plymouth went to an independant front suspension set up, with the exception of the PG Plymouth which used an I beam. In '35 Dodge and Plymouth went back to the tubular axle. Both makes retanied a straight front axle until '39 production. I would not assume that all front axles through '38 production were tubular, some may well have been I beam. Chrysler is infamous for changing things in the middle of the production year and not telling anyone about it. This personality trate of Chrysler, in the 30's, has driven restorers and historians mad for the life of the old car hobby. The ID difference of the axles is in the inclination angle of the king pins. Jim Cook, '33 DP technical advisor, Dodge Brothers Club.

Guest imported_woodwheels

Dodge and Plymouth used a tubular front axle for thr first time in '33, on all models. In '34 both makes went to an independant front suspension on all models except the Plym PG which used an I beam. In '35 both makes went back to the tubular axle and stayed with a straight axle through the '38 year. In '39 IFS returned to stay with both Dodge and Plymouth. The ID for the axles by year is in the inclination angle of the king pins. '33 pins were also smaller in diameter.

Jim Cook '33 technical advisor, Dodge Brothers Club

• 2 weeks later...