1942 production breakouts?

Are body style production numbers available for 1942? My book only gives a total for the year. I just bought a '42 coupe (a 116" wheelbase car, not sure which model yet), I was curious how many might have been made. Can't be many known ones left. These are about the best looking of the 42-48 era coupes -

Individual model production figures are generally not available. Most of that sort of information was, sadly, pitched out when Hudson and Nash merged to form AMC.

If you can list the first 2 digits of your serial number I can tell you which model you have.

You could also pose this question at the Hudson Forum, online, at http://www.classiccar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

My book tells that much, but the cowl tag seems to be missing and the car's 75 miles away. I compared to some photos and the hood trim (which seems to have a white glass piece in the front of the hood on each side) tells me it's one of the 116" WB cars, Traveler or Deluxe.

Anyone make rockers for these? It could stand those, some repair to the hood latch, and another grille (which I think '46 is the same).

I'm not sure they had a cowl tag in '42. The standard place for the pre-war cars is on the passenger door post (windshield column). The grilles for the '46-7 Hudsons are slightly different than for the 1942's. In reference to parts, I don't know where to find what you need, right off the top of my head. If you are not already a member you may wish to join the H-E-T Club, which is a great resource for Hudson parts and information. http://www.hudsonclub.org/

I found a decal on the cowl side, under the hood, which may have been the ID, but most of it is flaked away. No sign of a tag inside the door on the post, although there is one screwed on sheetmetal tag with no visible numbers on it. No sign of a stamped motor number, either, they say center of cylinder block in the books. I found one raised pad towards the back of the motor but it doesn't seem to have any numbers on it.

But the simpler hood trim and 16" rear wheels support a 20-series car.

Interestingly, the Motors manual shows at least two models in this series not even mentioned in the Krause Independents book and notes that the larger 6 was optional in these cars.

• 1 month later...

I think you hit it on the head...it is probably either a Traveler or a DeLuxe...both on a 116-inch wheelbase. The serial numbers started with 20101 (the "2" indicating the 1942 car year). I have a DeLuxe 4-door, serial number P20164 (making it the 64th DeLuxe built that year). The number is on a little plate on the passenger side door post--the VIN might be readable with a little rubbing. Apparently, Hudson built only 5,300 or so cars before February of 1942. Then (like all auto manufacturers) they went into full-bore defense work.

BTW, could anybody help me with getting a pair of front drums? I figure I only need a number, koz they are standard Bendix brakes and they were probably used on 100's of other cars & model years. Thanks, Guys! Good luck with the `42! A GREAT year for Hudson!

• 3 weeks later...