Gas Cover release lever

Hi, I am a brand new TC owner. Purchased an 89 Red TC in L.A. Friday night and drove it back to New Braunfels, Texas over the weekend. What a trip! I love the car.

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get the release lever for the gas cap cover. The lever works but the plastic piece that covers the lever is broken.

There are many other things that need to be fixed but I thought I would start with one that looked fairly simple (hopefully).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Craig Murphy

Welcome Craig,

Try www.tcparts.com, Larry has a j-yard full of TC's and may have a lever or two left. He's a very active member and contributor to the club newsletter as well as a heck of a nice guy to talk to.

We're pratically neighbors, I live in Austin and have owned a red/ginger/black '89 since April of this year. If you are the way I was, not knowing much about the TC when I got it, the very best suggestion I can give you is to read as many of the posts on this forum as you can. This forum is one of the most helpful tools you will find. The member's here are fantastic!

I would like to get together one of these days and share info and inspect each others cars. If your interested or if I can help you in any way feel free to contact me: anirishpub@sbcglobal.net

Welcome aboard!!

Don

Craig,

Don't waste your time re-booting your C/V axles - you can buy new ones for about $100 for a Daytona or Lebaron and just swap the ABS tone ring for the sensor.... unless of course, you work in a tranny shop and can do the boots for free. ;-)

I'm curious Larry, does the tone ring swap require machining of the outer CV axle hub? Is the Daytona hub already the correct size to accept the TC tone wheel? If I remember correctly that area of the hub is not machined at all if it came from non ABS car, so obviously it would need to be an ABS donor part? Also when you say new for $100. where is that from?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

PS Good write up on cleaning the TB in the newsletter. Often the AIS pintle needs a good cleaning too but I'd guess you didn't want to get over the abilities of the averidge newsletter reader...

Alan,

I got my new C/V axles from Autozone for $99. My old tone rings just slipped on. No extra work needed.

Thanks for the complement on the article. Hemi must have had a little too much aquavit the night he did the "correction" on the Dot Lang forum, as the photo I had of the 8v had some type of rodent remnants holding the "butterfly" oops, throttle plate open. What a difference it makes in the performance of these cars. I did a few at the TC America club meet in Reno and the owners were very happy.

• 2 weeks later...

The 88 lebaron has two handles in the same area as the TC. They are for the trunk and gas door. I removed them from the car, but have not torn apart the TC to compare (mine is fine, if it ain't broke don't fix it). I do know the lebaron handles are press fitted and peened over to hold them together and to the bracket. The assy. pin will have to ground down to disassemble. The handles look very similar. The plastic cover on the lever can also be removed if you're careful, and I believe that they are the same as the TC.

I took the speedo cluster out of the LeBaron for an odometer gear transplant. The Odo had 157,000 on it so I thought the gear would be OK. Took it apart and the gear was not good! Bummer! I did learn how to fix it though! Gears are on order from Odo Gears.com