1955 Buick Special - Generator Maintenance Question

Skippy

The manual covers this pretty good as I just oiled my 55, it was starting to squeal somewhat. I believe it stated to put 3 drops in the oil fill cap with the engine off, if you have regularly oiled it. Use 3 to 5 drops allow to absorb (overnight?) into the wick and re-oil.

I use Mobil 1 (10-30) the same as the engine oil however today's lubricants are so much better then what was available in the 50's probably just about anything would be acceptable.

Guest De Soto Frank

There's usually two oil-cups on Delco-Remy generators: one at the front, and one at the rear.

Most shop manuals recommend filling the oil cups every 5,000 miles.

The front bearing (next to the pulley) is a ball bearing and can take engine-oil.

The rear bearing is usually a "plain" bushing, which I've always been told should get only non-detergent oil, as detergent oils will clog the pores in the oil-lite bushing... same goes for the bushings in small electric motors ( and I've been told the same thing by more than one electric motor guy)... I use 3 in 1 Electric Motor Oil (white & blue bottle) for plain bushings.

If your genny has the power-steering pump driven off the back, then the rear bearing is usually a ball-bearing like the front, and regular motor oil should be okay.

Car should be taken not to over-oil the rear bearing/bushing, as too much oil can flood into the commutator and brushes, causing charging problems...

Good luck...

I have been using Mobile 1 synthetic oil in all my engines both new and old for many years and have replaced my 3 in 1 with it also. All the electric motors in the house (exhaust, furnace, etc) seem to require less maintenance and have longer service periods with the synthetic.

Have used it on a 52 year old car that's motor has never been rebuilt (76K) and also a 43 year old car that has only 5,748 miles with excellent results.

You are absolutely correct on not to over oil. I believe that the non bearing oil points have a cotton wick so the oil last a fairly long time.