Hard starting part 2

JWC

Ok I'm still having the hard start problem on my 89, after the car sits for awhile it will crank but does not start right up, it will start after what seems to be a lot of cranking. I replaced the fuel pump, fuel sending unit, and fuel pressure switch, any ideas where to go from here?

I have tried turning the key on and waiting for 10 - 15 sec. and it doesn't seem to be any better, the way I have to start it now is crank it for about 5-10 seconds then wait, crank another 5-10 seconds, then wait and then it usually starts, on the 3rd try, some times it takes an exter 5-10 sec. of cranking but it will always start.

I will try the seq. you have mention and let you know what happens.

No, try this: turn key on, wait 2 seconds, turn key off and remove from ignition. Replace and turn key on. Wait two seconds. Start.

The reason is that when the key is inserted and turned on you get a two second rattle from the injectors and then it stops. Nomatter how long you wait, that is all you get.

BTW I do not see that you have replaced the fuel pump relay. There is an interlock between the fuel pump and the oil pressure switch. The sole purpose of the relay is to turn the fuel pump on when the key is turned to START.

What you describe sounds like a failed relay and the fuel pump is not turning on until you crank for long enough to bring the oil pressure up.

Sitting overnight relieves all of the pressure in the rail. After a brief stop the pressure is probably still high enough in the rail to start without more pumping.

Have gone into this and how to check using a test light on the prime wire many many times.

Guest Albert

Check the fuel pump relay, or have somone listen at the fuel tank, turn the key, you should hear the pump run for 10 sec or so, if not the relay is gone, and you have to build oil pressure to get the fuelpump to run.