Front License Plate Holder

ol' yeller

I have noticed lately on Ebay that front license plate holders are going for big bucks. I recently needed one for my new 1990 coupe and found that Buick had discontinued them.(I know, get used to it)He then led me to his bins full of GM license plate holders and said, "find one that fits." The good news is I found one that fits almost perfectly with a little trimming with some snippers and redrilling of the mounting holes in the bracket. I think he said it was from a 1992 Grand AM. The part number was 2255-1295 bracket F. It even has 2 plastic outriggers that mount to the grille area to stabilize it. You probably wouldn't want to do this to a show car but when installed, it is hard to tell it from original. In Washington they really enforce the front license plate thing.

I paid $15.50 for the bracket at my local Buick/Pontiac Dealer. You do have to redrill the holes in the bracket to match the holes in the front bumper (no big deal as it is made of plastic) and then trim a little off the sides of the lower mounts so it slides between the grille and the lower fascia. I had to remove the grille and drill 2 mounting holes in the fascia which are hidden when you remount the grille. When you line it up to the mounting holes on the bumper, it becomes real apparent what needs to be trimmed. I have not seen an original but this one has the exact same curve in it to match the Reatta bumper from the top. From the side there is a cutout for the Grand Am bumper that shows but I think only a Reatta expert would know it isn't OEM. I found it to be a great solution for my driver that really needed a front license plate without using duct tape or baling wire. I am kinda fussy about how my cars look.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to be of help. I felt that $45 was a little steep for a used original bracket that appeared to be missing the lower supports. We all need to help each other to keep these great little cars on the road and John Law off our rear bumpers.