Starter and generator brushes for 1925 Buick

Hi you all.<BR>Who knows where I can get starter and generator brushes for a 1925 Buick Standard Six? I am also looking for timing gears for this car. Maybe at Egge or is there another source? Thank you beforehand. smile.gif<P>------------------<BR>Thomas Borchers<BR>Member of AACA # 004829<BR>HCCA and MAFCA

Let me check this evening when I get home, I may have a set for your buick. Does this still use the starter/generator from Delco or was it a starter only by '25? I'll check my books. I have over 5000 brushes in stock for most cars before '35.

Thomas - Same guy that HVS bought your Caddy points from has these old brush sets - Mr. C. Bouteiller, Monterey Road, Great Barrington, Mass. 01230 USA Phone [413] 528-2815. He even had a matched set of '23 Northeast starter/generator brushes for me.

Regarding the timing gear, you might check with Bobs Automobilia. I do not believe his gear comes from EGGE.<BR> Phone # 805-434-2963<BR> Also the fastest way to destroy a timing gear on an old buick is to overtighten the water pump packing nut.<BR> Bill

• 10 years later...
Guest h_eckstein

For the 1925 Buick Standard Six timing gear, (camshaft gear only), I had one custom made. The contact information is: Jeff Chase, Joval Machine Company, Lab Threads & Gear Works, PAC Products

Ph. 203-284-0082

Fax 203-284-9605

www.labthreads.com

If you reference my invoice #5562 from July 2008, they may have kept their engineering drawings which they had to create from my broken gear. This is the only place in the country I could find that was willing to make a one-off gear. They asked me to send them my original broken gear and the mating crankshaft gear so they could be sure of all the tolerances, etc.

I had them make mine from aluminum and it was very very noisy for the first year. It has quieted down some, but is still louder than a fiber gear. They gave me the option of having a fiber gear made. Their service was great, the price right and the gear fit perfectly. I highly recommend them. Be aware that the Standard Six camshaft gear is different from the Master Six.

Guest h_eckstein

I think one of the options they gave me was to have one made of bronze. Give them a call, in less than 10 minutes, you'll know for sure.

Buick's original gear is composed of a steel hub with fiber material moulded over it. Mine lasted 80+ years! If I had it to do over again, I'd have had it made of fiber material. I'm not going to live another 80 years, so It would out-last me anyway.

The original (though worn) cam gear only broke because of a badly worn distributor gear that jumped time and in the process jammed the driven gear just long enough to shatter the Oldham coupling I had made out of a nylon cutting board which caused the jackshaft to lock up so the steel crankshaft gear could strip out about 8 teeth out of the cam gear.

I've since learned that the Oldham coupler is made of the same fiber material as the cam gear. But, with my new gear, I'm still running a nylon coupling made from a cutting board with no issues.