1916 wiring ARMOR or LOOM ???

bobs1916

What is correct for these early cars. DO I use regular tracer wire for dash headlight tailight ??? Should these be in a loom??? If so where . Is armor cable right or wrong ??? How about the coil wires I assume tracer wire for these but loom or not ?? Thanks again

Guest imported_RAH

Bob,

Sorry to be so tardy with thios response. I have been trying to verify specifically when the Brothers Dodge switches to the 'armored wire' to no avail. I do know for a fact the early cars did NOT use the armored wire rather used what is referred to as 'switch board' wire. It is cloth coveres rubber insulated plain wire of a slightly greenish color. I have checked part numbers for wires up to '18 and unfortunately they use all the same numbers. One mention in '18 they switched from the single wire for headlights going up the generator side and under the radiator continuing over to the right headlight to a 'double wire' systen where individual wires went from the switch to each headlight up each side respectively. As I said I cannnot tell exactly when the switch to 'armored' wire but believe it was around '17 ish. The taillight wire left down the left side of the dash along with the headlight wire and down by the steering gear left the loom and went aft with the fuel and air pipes. I hope this helps some.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Guest Jack27

Bob:When I dismantled my '16 (S/N 67314-May 1916) the headlights and the taillight had armored cable. The only loom was for the starter/generator. Jack

THANKS ALL

It seems that armor is found on some early cars as Jack writes I DID find armor to the tail and headlights on my 16 serial number in the 75XXX range But I knew there was contrary info also credible so I guess BOTH armor and cloth "could" be correst I sorta doubt that both Jack and I found 16s with armor to the lights and that it was later addition . Roger's post moves me one way Jack's the other way. I enjoy this exchange of information which allows me, the more novice DB'er, a great source to make my restoration reasonably close!!! Thanks again