Chrysler Chassis Number

Anyone shed some light on why my 34 CB Sedan Chassis is stamped CA24990

It is stamped on the front left chassis rail 6 inches back from the bumper mount & midway on the left chassis rail side approximately in line with the door pillar

I am curious as to why the long wheelbase CB chassis is prefixed with CA short wheelbase serial

1934 Chrysler CA and CB both have the motor number stamped into the frame at various places along the left frame rail side. As far as I know the CA engine was used in both models. I've recorded 1931-34 MoPar serial-motor and body numbers for approx 30 years and have never seen a CB prefix on an engine or frame.

Similar situation with Plymouth. PE-PF-PG models but the PG series came with PF engines.

Dodge DR-DS models probably used DR only but I cannot find any examples. dp

I didnt think to make the connection with engine number, but you are correct

chassis and engine number are the same in my case.

Now that I see other makes shared the same practice it still leaves me puzzled

as to why Chrysler lumped all those identities together

Thanks for your input. ch

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didnt think to make the connection with engine number, but you are correct

chassis and engine number are the same in my case.

Now that I see other makes shared the same practice it still leaves me puzzled

as to why Chrysler lumped all those identities together

Thanks for your input. ch </div></div>

Chrysler did not use the same number for the engine and the chassis (serial number). What you have found on the chassis is the engine number. The car's serial number was stamped on the right side of the chassis by then, I believe.

I know of a 1940 Chrysler that has the serial number stamped on the right side of the chassis, top, just by the front axle. Other models have the number stamped on the right side of the frame just ahead of the front hanger for the rear leaf spring. It is usually stamped on the right side, as I said, but I have heard of some finding it on the top side of the frame when they removed the body for restoration.

Serial numbers sequences for the 1934 Chrysler are :

Detroit - 6,650,001 to 6,672,665

Windsor - 9,702,226 to 9,703,363

And the number stamped on the right side should fall into one of the above sequences.

Concerning engine numbers, the 1936 Plymouth had two series, P1 and P2. Both used engine numbers with prefix P2. The Plymouth-based export Dodge D3 and the Canadian D3 and D4 also used the Plymouth engine with prefix P2. When Chrysler Canada opened their new engine plant in 1938, all Canadian models used their model numbers as prefix. Thus the 1938 Plymouth (P5, P6) and export Dodge (D9) in the U.S. used engine prefix P6, while in Canada the 1938 Plymouth Six (P5) used engine prefix P5, the Plmouth DeLuxe and Custom (P6) used P6, the Dodge Six (D9) used prefix D9 and the DeLuxe Six (D10) used D10. That continued right through to 1958.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Guest imported_Bill-W

Sent my last email and then remembered you have a 1934 CB, not a CA. Thus the serial number would be :

Detroit - 6,700,001 to 6,701,452

No CB models were built in Canada. We got the Airflow Six (CY) instead.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Thanks Bill, glad you added that last reply as I am in the Detroit range of

numbers for CB which are stamped on right forward chassis rail, nothing at rear,

engine number is on left front rail & repeated midway along left side rail.

However I have remains of two CB`s which I am attempting to make into one

and there is some contradiction of numbers between the the two, let me try & explain :

No.1 has no engine nor Serial number tag, the chassis however is stamped with an engine number

& what I presume is build number 6701292 plus a number 1753 immediately under it on right side.

No.2 has Serial Number tag 6701242 on bulhead/firewall but absolutely nothing I can find on the chassis,have yet to have it sandblasted so something may yet be revealed.

Any input out there ?

Yes well that number seems to fit the pattern, still wonder about their

alphabet being short on letters though.

Re documentation thats another story; back then Chrysler relied on a loose

alliance of dealers to bring in and distribute their product with their blessing

no structured corporation existed down here as we know it today. The sad part is

to find records now is almost impossible, our only real guide is motor registration

records that exist in each state and all they tell us is the numbers of vehicles

registered by make. My problem is compounded by the fact that both my specimens

were sitting in paddocks for many years before I got to them so any history is long gone.

ch