Die Cast trim for 68 ?

twjoyce

I have a long die cast piece for the rear of what appears to be a 68 full size Olds. It either goes under the lower edge of the trunk lid or on the bottom edge of it. It has part number 7799208 cast into the rear of it. My parts book is a 1975 printing and I can't find it in there, does anyone have an older printing that might be able to help me verify its' application. Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Tom Joyce

OK, here's the deal. Trunk moldings like you describe are in group 12.182. In my '66-'68 book, 7799208 is not listed. '68 molding numbers in this group are in the 7795*** range. '66 & '67s seem to run in the 4229*** range. I checked my GM computer for history and it says that 7799208 was discontinued 12/83. Easy enough, as my pre-'75 book was printed in 4/83. But there is no 7799208 in the 12.182 group in that catalog, either. This book lists '69 and newer numbers in the 8700*** to 8704*** range.

So, I think we either have something that isn't '68, isn't for the trunk lid area, or isn't for an Oldsmobile. Unfortunately GM will only give me history and won't provide me with application or group information.

Paul

Hey Guys, sorry, I have been out of town and/or really busy. The die cast piece in question is definitely Olds since it says O-L-D-S-M-O-B-I-L-E on the right end of it. It must go on the trunk since there is a hole in the center of it to access the key hole. My old GM Olds Parts Book (75 printing) only shows parts starting with the 77--- as 68 parts. Guess I will have to pay more attention at the upcoming Olds shows, maybe I can spot one. Thanks for your help and for trying. Tom

I thought of that, too. '69 3500, 3600, 4200 exc. SW & VC is an 8700933. Not close. I'm thinking '67 Delta. They had a panel like that, too. Only Delta, not Delmonts and not Delta Customs. No emblem arount the keyhole. Coupe was different from sedan/convertible. But part #s were 4229960/1. Still not close.

I dunno.

A picture would help.

Paul

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the effort, I never thought it would be such a big deal. Glen, it does have a point above and below the keyhole, kinda resembles a shield type thing I guess. I will get a length measurment and some pics first chance I get. I will have to e-mail them to you, I am too old to try to figure out how to post picture on the site. Thanks again, Tom