DB body

We are restoring a DB Tourer frame # 9816. I am concerned with the body. It has four opening doors. It also has a what appears to be either a riveted or reinforced/repaired area behind the rear wheels wrapping around the rear of the body.Is this normal for a 1915 DB body?

post-47315-143137901224_thumb.jpg

The serial # that I located is on the frame rail under the passenger seat.The automobile is mostly all there and is completely disassembled.The frame steering and suspension has been blasted and primered and first coats of paint applied to the frame. One door needs extensive repair along with the top bows and some bracketery.The engine runs just fine but I will disassemble it and check all clearances etc before it goes back into service.

I was hoping for RAH or one of the other '15 experts to pick up on this. I'm a novice on '15's, but I'd say your car should not have that piece. The bodies were ONE pieces, except for doors, fenders, etc. I'VE never seen a piece riveted like that. It should however have a hand pump on the dash,for gas, 2 fuel lines from the tank. One would be supply, the other return. The engine should also have a fuel pump on the right side behind the magneto. What is the engine number? Sure would like to see some more detail pics, too. Looks like a good car. That serial number would put it around May of '15 build date. I think you said it runs OK, why take it apart?

Thanks for the reply. My question would be, do I restore this body as is? I do not have the hand pump. But the fuel pump is on the engine and there is a fuel pressure gauge in the dash. I am having a hard time deciphering the engine number. It looks like it has been stamped over? I come up with 5600615. What pics are you interested in? This auto is completely disassembled.

The lip the rear fender bolts to belongs there, for sure. With the rear bottom seat cushion out can you see any reason for the riveted panel? Rust, accident, Steel or aluminum patch? Is the riveted piece just covering the other panel or can you tell how the panel was cut out { toolmarks}? Are both side pieces symetrical, same rivet pattern? Was the car modified with a vacuum tank, since the hand pump is missing? The hand pump was to prime the pump after the car sat for a while. I was just interested in other pics, for couriousity sake.

With the rear seat cushion removed the areas that are visible also show a corresponding reinforcement plate on the inside. But upon further examination (disclaimer here!) I do see between the plates at the rear corners and what little I can see there is some rusting at the rear corners. The plates are all steel. Both sides are symmetrical with very a similar rivet pattern. I don?t have a vacuum tank for this vehicle. This vehicle came to me in a partially disassembled state. Fuel tank was smashed and was disassembled and repaired. There was no fuel lines attached when I received it. I have just been trying to get a good idea of exactly what I have here and how to proceed to do this very early Dodge Brothers restoration justice. I appreciate your patience with me on this and thank you very much for your help. I will post more pics.

Thanks, Terry

post-47315-143137901227_thumb.jpg

Looks like someone did a lot of sandblasting and glassbeading. The front axle will have a number stamped close to the right spring perch. The trans number is on the top right side by the mount, should match the engine. Your engine number sounds close except for the last couple digits. It should be about 50,000 more then the engine number. There's a number on the top of the rear end too. The gas tank should have two fittings on the top, in the center. Is there a gas cap, is it round or have ears, like a racecar cap { kind of like a knockoff wheel spinner}? This car should not have a vacuum tank, but many have been retro fitted. No patience here, I'm nosey,the early cars interest me.

Artic Dodge, go up to the top of this page and click on "resources", find your way to the "library", and then the "online search", then type "1915 Dodge Brothers". There's a few books in the "literature" section that will help. The Book of Information is the owner's manual, if you didn't know that. Send Kim a message with the file numbers and for a few bucks she will copy and send you whatever you need.

Can you be a little more specific as to the serial # locations for me? The front axle and rear end are ready for paint(last coats of primer are applied) would like to not strip too much if possible.I already stripped the transmission at the right mount(passenger side) on top and there is a welded repair there no number that I can see.That brings up a question what material is the bell housing and clutch wheel made of something similar to magnesium? The fuel tank has one large threaded fitting in the center on top (no cap)and one smaller one to one side on the top(air?) right under the small fitting on top there is another bell shaped fitting on the bottom (fuel outlet?).I have used the resource at the AACA library and had them send me everything they had for 1915-1917 Dodge Brothers.I have learned much reading that literature.

post-47315-143137901229_thumb.jpg

Artic

I am at the 2 1/2 year mark in restoring a 1916 tourer. I have what I think is a 1915 body or at least an earlier 1916( body number around 50,000) which I took the seat frames out of perhaps what remains could be of some help to you . Where are you located?? would not be very pricey!!! There is NO patch in the area you describe. I hate to see it go for a hot rod . BoB