1916 6 button switch

I am restoring a 1916 tourer. It was made in June 1916. The dash has the 6 button switch for what ???? The manual I have Aug 1916 does not show its use. When was it discontinued and what was its purpose?? Is a wiring diagram available? Thank you

Guest Jack27

The 6 button switch is the light switch. Push a button in at the top and the light comes on.Push the bottom button in and the light goes off. One of the set of buttons is for the bright lights, one for the dimmers and one for the instrument light. This switch was used only on 1915 and 1916 DB cars. Jack Carpenter

Guest imported_RAH

Bob,

As Jack says the upper buttons are for 'ON' and the lower buttons are for 'OFF'. The left set are for 'Low beam' headlights (through a resistor). The right set are for High beam headlights. (direct). The center set are for dash and tail light. On the obverse side you should find a cross strap (bussbar) on the lower three contacts with a wire attached to the ammeter. This provides power to the three switches. There should be a rather large wire wound resistor fastened to the top outside set of terminals. The headlight wire fastens to the leftmost contact where that resistor is fastened and will disappear into that loom on the drivers side of the cowl. The top center contact will have two wires. One will go over to the dash light and the other will disappear along with the headlight wire into the loom headed for the taillight. Interestingly the headlight wire loom will continue under the steering box and head forward to the left front corner where they appeared to pull the wire out of a notch and splice and tape a wire going up under the fender to the left headlight. The loom and wire continues under the radiator (two cable clamps are fastened under the rad bolts) to the right headlight. As for the taillight wire, it exits the loom just below the cowl through a similar notch and heads back along with the fuel and air pressure lines to the rear.

I hope this helps.

Sorry I should mention that these early cars did NOT use the 'armored' cable. It was what is referred to as Telephone Switchboard wire. It is a rather greenish rubber and cloth covered wire.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Guest Jack27

It just occured to me that if your car was made in June 1916 it would NOT have had a 6 button light switch. It would have had a Briggs and Stratton Switch which has the ignition and light switch integral in one unit.

Jack Carpenter

Jack serial number in the 72000 range ( I forget the exact #) which according to records should be about june or july 1916 IT certainly has the 6 button switch and remnants of a pretty complex wiring harness still affixed to it . It would be a lot easier to use the Briggs switch with the light switch built in . What would you do??? Dash has the proper cut outs for the 6 gang and is original I believe to this car. Thanks guys for the input Greatly appreciate it!!!

Guest Jack27

All I can conclude is that the car had the original dashboard replaced with one from a '15.

Unless you are a purist I would leave the dash you have in the car.

Jack

Jack you got me thinking so I checked and what I have is a 6 TERMINAL switch with only 3 buttons Does that make more sense now??? I assume that the wiring will be as Roger has already commented on . Is that configuration correct for June 1916??? Thanks and sorry for my confusion in looking at the dash from the back

bob

Jack one other point Assuming the switch is right do you have any leads on the correst ignition switch to use with this set up???? The one I got is a very very clean IGN with key but it also has the light /dim circuit built in to it.Thanks again

Guest Jack27

A picture of the from the drivers seat switch you have would be very helpful. A 3 button switch does not ring any bells with em.

Guest Jack27

It is a strange dashboard. The 3 button switch is certainly not Dodge-it has been an add-on.The oil gauge bezel is off a car later than '16-the bezel should be like the oil gauge bezel. The oil gauge meter itself is off a car later than '16.The ammeter is off a car later than '16. The hole in the dash left of the steering column should not be there. The speedometer does not look correct for a Johns Manville speecometer.The bezel looks like it is off a VanSicklen. The bracket that holds the steering coolumn to the dash is later than '16. The dash looks like it was drilled for a Briggs and Stratton ignition switch.

jack

Thanks a lot I am NOT going to use that dash panel. I have a second one that I got from a guy with a 1917 that does NOT have any of the extra holes > Should the ammeter he affixed with a wooden mounting block fo the back? ie NO SCREWHOLES IN DASH . Thats what he provided me with I will need to use that steering column mount as I have no other one. Obvously the dash had been altered over the years and I can eliminate the "extras" thanks again

Guest Jack27

Bob: The ammeter is held from the black witha wood block. The steering column brcket is minor point but I wanted to advise you of the non original '16 features. Good Luck

• 4 weeks later...
Guest imported_RAH

Shesh You Guys!

First, Bob I do not recall you mentioning your cars specific serial number only others trying to reconcile your 'June '16' date. This was a very transitional period and specific serial numbers are required for accurate info. Regarding the ammeter, the switch from flange mount to rear wooden bracket occurred at 37445/39509 (Oct '15). The wooden bracket was replaced by the steel retainer at 495684 (Jun '20). Regarding your posted dash picture, that 3 button switch does not belong and the switch would be a Briggs & Stratton in that round hole above. The info. regarding the steering column bracket is also correct in that yours would be a cast unit rather than stamped as shown.

Regarding the speedometer, the silver faced JM which appears on your dash was introduced at 59150/63243 (Feb '15) and was replaced by the Van Sicklin at 80676/88275 (July '16). That was replaced by a later JM at 124353/143000(Feb '17). And the black face JM flush mount with no surround was introduced at 158616/169913 (May '17). And, Yes the oil pressure gauge is from a later car in that the one for '16 would have a more pronounced arrow hand and brass lettering rather than the white lettering on that one.

I hope this helps.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley