Marvel carburetor going dry

Guest oakland

Guest oakland

I have a 1929 Oakland with an updraft Marvel carburetor. The problem I have is that sometimes the bowl of the carubretor goes dry. This seems to occur when I drive real slow, and especially on a hot day. I can remove the top of the carburetor bowl, and add gasoline, and the car starts. I suspect the problem is in the fuel pump. I installed a rebuild kid from The Auto Celler last year. Where surface where the top bolts to the bottom of the fuel pump is kind of wavy. I installed the gasket and permatex to seal this. Last night I was driving the car and this happened. I had to remove the sentiment bowl from the fuel pump and empty the gas into the carburetor to start the car. It looked like the gas flow into the sentiment bowl was real slow and spuratic. My wife brought me more gas and I had to keep adding gas to the carburetor to get home. Has anyone got any ideas what my problem is?

Guest oakland

Thanks for the advice Carbking. I have never seen a three line filter installed as you say. Where would I find such a filter and instructions on how to install it? Thanks again for your help.

Oakland,

Actually, your problem is most likely fuel pump warpage. Remember how wavy the diaphragm mating surface of the pump was? Well, the recessed area above the sediment bowl gets the same way. Here is the test: remove the bowl, gasket and screen from the pump. Now hold the bowl in place without the gasket and attempt to noticably "rock" it back and forth. It it does so, enough warpage is present to keep it from developing adequate vacuum for consistent fuel delivery.

Since it is from 1929 (a bad year for pot metal) it probably cannot be heated and straightened without cracking. Call Antique Auto Parts Cellar again and describe the pump to Tom. He will sell you a new one.

The three line filter is a "modern" convenience that was designed to help prevent vapor lock in air conditioned modern vehicles. Many different varieties are available at your local auto parts store.

Find a store with a "buyers guide" and acquire the filter that will best fit your needs.

As to instructions:

(A) line in (from fuel pump)

(B) line out (to carburetor)

© restricted, or vapor line out (run NEW line from this to dump into fuel tank).

As mentioned by others, a non-sealing fuel pump could also cause you problems, but your post mentions this only occurs when very hot at low RPM, which is why my guess is vapor lock.

Jon.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oakland

I determinde my problem was as Carbdoc described, carburetor warpage. I tried the fuel bowl test, and it rocked back & forth. I talked to Tom at The Antique Auto Celler, and he is building me a new one. It costs $195.00 plus shipping. I am sure this will solve my problem. Thanks for the help.