serial number and a new face from holland please help me!!!

hi there,

first i will say hello to everyone at the forum.

my name is mike and im from holland my english is not so well but i wil try my best.

i drive a olds delta 88 coupe "67

the original motor was killed so the owner before me putted another one into the car.

my question is == where can i find the motor number?

i dont know if its a old motor i know that its a small block?

can of will somebody help me???

greetz mike

• 2 weeks later...

"ok and how many horse power ive got now"

Not very much, however part of that problem is due to the methods that were used to state horsepower. In the past, the Big Three played a lot of games with horsepower figures to fool the public. During the 1960's they rated HP at the flywheel with no accessories which isn't realistic. By 1972, compression ratios dropped to reduce harmful emissions (smog) and cam shaft timing was retarded. Horsepower is generally made in the cylinder heads and those made from 1972 on are pretty bad. They are called "smogger" heads and generally don't flow as well as some of the earlier castings. Volumes have been written on this subject and there's nowhere near enough space here to do that. Your compression ratio with that engine is probably about 8:1 maybe 8.5:1. The old heads with smaller combustion chambers were about 10:1. Secondly, the SAE standardized the method in which HP is computed making it a bit more realistic and all the numbers are lower now so it's almost impossible to compare a 1960's vintage engine to a late 1970 or 1980's engine. If you are trying to increase HP, you'll need to find some of the older cylinder head castings ID code 5 or 6 if you can find them. They don't grow on trees in the U.S. and are probably much harder to find in Europe. On top of that, you'll probably have to use higher octane fuel or they will cause your engine to knock.

Short answer, HP figures are pretty much meaningless to me. I judge an engine on how it performs in the car it is being used in. This can be gauged by it's time from 0 to 60 MPH or the time and speed in the quarter mile. Bill Jenkins gave the big block guys fits back in the 1960's with a little 327 (mouse-motor that roared) in his Chevy.