Buick Reatta Modz

OK, I know this car is not yet a "classic" but it is rare being one of only 21,751 ever made. I'm not looking to restore it to factory specs, I want it to be unique.

Does anyone knows if I can put a newer 3800 with a supercharger in it?

I've got 18" chrome wheels on it, getting the windows tinted this weekend and hopefully adding a spoiler from a 98 VW Jetta. A small list of other things I'm planning include: Lambo doors with shaved handles, slotted and drilled rotors, HKS cold air intake, re-doing the interior in charcoal grey, and adding one hell of a sound system. If anyone can link me to some good sites for any of the above mentioned projects, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be posting some pics as soon as I get the windows done cool.gif

You don't see too many of the Reattas being modified, but I have seen a couple at the national shows. One of them does sport a supercharger. It was yellow, and I believe it had lake pipes. Pretty cool car...

You might have better luck posting this in the Reatta discussion forum on this website:

http://forums.aaca.org/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3

Due to it's "modern" orientation, some might not consider the Reatta a "classic" per se, but it surely IS a "niche" vehicle. As mentioned, it is reasonably low production, but sometimes that does NOT count in anything.

I saw an ad for an aftermarket turbo or supercharger kit for the Buick Regal/ Pontiac Grand Prix cars with the 3800 V-6. It was in one of the Pontiac enthusiast magazines. It seems that most of the Buick 3800 V-6 performance stuff is done in Pontiac Grand Prixs, but typically it all fits anyway. There are several websites devoted to the Buick 3800 V-6 and its modifications and hot rod parts thereof. You might find links to them on www.RegalGS.org.

Do NOT forget to upgrade the transmission if you add any "power adders" to the engine. There are aftermarket transaxles available too, but for the later Regals/Grand Prixs. Also consider some aftermarket shocks/struts for it too, maybe even some KONIs if available.

Personally, the brake upgrades sound more "for show" than because you might really need them in autocross racing (or similar). Some good aftermarket high performance pads would probably serve your purposes well until you decide to do the "high dollar" stuff. You can get hooked up with some of the Reatta people on where to get the "good stuff" reman brake system parts -- provided they'll talk to you considering what you've mentioned doing to your car (just an observation from seeing what some car marque enthusiasts think of modified vehicles, with all due respect).

The Lambo door mod is a kind of neat thing (I saw a PT Cruiser convertible with some of them on it a few months back), if you want do to that. Only thing is that much of those things will pretty much not add value to the vehicle over what it might be normally (i.e., spending money which will not typically be returned upon sale to another person or an insurance settlement). Adding those things will also possibly mean that those who might desire to buy it would need cash as there might not be many banks that will loan money on such a modified vehicle that will be driven as a regular car.

Now, ALSO be cognizant that if you might need some weatherstrip or similar for the Reatta, it's NOT going to be something that you'll find just anywhere (in the door conversion). There were some things that would cross with similar year Rivieras, but NOT anything that is specific to the Reatta itself. This is one consideration that needs to be thought of when dealing with ANY low production specialty production vehicle. IF you were going to do the same things to a similar year Camaro/Firebird or even a PT Cruiser convertible, it would be different.

Of course, you'll need to document ALL of the modifications for your insurance company and then get it all appraised for market value. That will lead to some sort of "stated value" insurance policy that is really a normal policy but the rates are based on appraised value--but they'll only pay then-current market value in the case of a total loss rather than what your stated value might be. "Agreed value" is different, though, but would also classify as an "antique" policy with its own set of use and non-use storage criteria.

But if you've got these grand plans, have the money and desire, knock your socks off, just be cognizant of what might happen down the road. Sounds like it could be an interesting vehicle when done.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• 1 month later...