Found: 2 Engines in Junkyard-picture of other engine

rhb1999

I had a 78 once, and a 79 too, both with the Buick 350. In my opinion, I would not want another motor from the 77-79 years,

I bought the 78 used, and was most likely ripped off, except I really should have known better. I let my emotions take over on the purchase. Bad Mistake. Mistake #1.

Anyway on the first trip over an hour long, the lifters collapsed. Clattering all over. I took it back under warranty and the mechanic said the bearings were shot causing the oil pressure to drop when the engine was warm. I should have disputed that but didn't. Mistake #2

They offered to replace the motor with a used one from a local yard. I agreed.

When the engine was in the car it revealed a knock. They sent me to the yard as the yard guaranteed that motor. Mistake #3, I should have sued the bastards right there.

The yard claimed the motor had piston slap and it was common. They agreed to guarantee the motor for a year. So I left it in there. The engine did run okay but I could never get used to that knock. Since it ran so well I tried external components to eliminate the knock, Timing chain and gears, harmonic balancers, exhaust gaskets. Mistake # ( oh who's counting anymore, the entire thing was a big mistake).

Then I found the 79 Wagon. Same engine but quiet as a mouse. Until the lifters collapsed on a two hour drive. This time I replaced the lifters. That car ran great. Took it on a ten hour trip to the Jersey shore. Loved it. But after a year the tranny started leaking, so I thought; Let me swap this motor with the Electra's and I'll have a decent car.

Put the knocker into the wagon and then sold it to a guy after telling him everything I had done to eliminate the knock. He didn't care about it and just wanted transportation. Then I had someone help me put new bearings in the 79 motor and dropped her in.

Inside of two months I smelled antifreeze at the exhaust pipe and gave up. I took a whooping on a trade but the problem child was gone... Oh, the wagon lasted 4 more years for that guy before the engine crapped out... Go figure!

JD