Electrical connectors....

I am in need of your help, again!

I am working on a 1951 S88, trying to remove the parking light to replace the faulty socket. there are two wires, one goes to the terminal block , the turn signal wire goes into a connector. I can't figure out how to get the connector apart. It doesn't seem to just pull apart, and it's so old I am afraid to ruin something if I play with it much longer. The factory manuel ID's it as a connector, but doesn't say how to "disconnect" it! It's black plastic, about 2 inches long.

I know on later cars, you stick a pin in to release the locking mechanism, but I can't seem to find how this one is locked in. I have tried pushing in a tiny screw driver, but don't see any way to release the connection.

I noticed there are a lot of this kind of connectors used under the dash board, and various other places.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I will encounter more of these connectors when I remove the different components for chrome plating.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

On most of these spade connectors the male (spade) just pulls out. The female half is locked into the plastic sleeve with a tab that can be released with a small screwdriver. Over time the connector corrodes itself together. Squirt some wd-40 or other penetrant into the connector and let it sit for an hour or so then just pull it apart. It will usually come apart but you do run the risk of breaking the wire. These connectors are pretty easy to find in junk yards.........Bob

Thanks for the tip, but no success. I tried spraying with PB Blaster, and kroil. I tried reaching into the plastic and grabbing the metal part of the connector with needle nose pliers, tried releasing it with a small screw driver, nothing works. the wiring is in excellent condition and i hate to screw anything up.

I have decided to order a couple of used ones from a wreaking yard that is sending me some other parts. When they arrive, I will break one open and find out exactly how it is designed, so I can get it apart with no further damage to the original.

I'll let you know what I learn.