Remember the Olds Firenza?

Franbev

My younger daughter loves J cars (Cavalier, Sunbird etc). I finally got her an Olds. A 1984 Firenza SX hatchback. The local Olds club scoffs at it but at least it's an Olds. Anyway, I need the lower rocker moulding on the drivers side. It's probably the same one used on the Cavalier/Sunbird/Skyhawk hatchback. Car-parts.com can't find one. Anybody out there know where I can find one? This will keep a young lady interested in Oldsmobiles.

post-33170-143137894443_thumb.jpg

The Firenzas weren't any worse than the other J-cars and IMHO were the best looking of the lot. With an Iron Duke they were actually pretty reliable and kinda fun to drive, so if the Olds Club don't like it, scroom.

I know a couple of people who use them for daily drivers and they may know of some parts sources. Of course, one doesn't own a computer much less have email (guy still has a rotary phone), but Doug Kitchener in MD can probably help you out. I'll fwd this thread to him and give you his email via PM.

Rocketraider - I remember the old 1.8 and 2.0 liter engines used in the Firenzas. Seems one was Mexico built and the other perhaps US. But when I started selling Oldsmobiles in 1985, we had lots of Cieras in stock, many with the 2.5 liter Tech 4 motor. The guys told me this was the "Iron Duke" engine. I know that engine was not available in the Firenza. So, is the 1.8 or 2.0 really the Iron Duke? And was the Iron Duke really a "Pontiac" motor to begin with? What I know, what I think I know, what I remember, and what I think I remember are getting mixed up.

I do know we used to sell Cieras in the 80's like we do Camrys now.

In an earlier life, the Firenza was known as a Starfire. That was a disgraceful application of a proud Oldsmobile model name onto a Chevy with lock washers. I talked my fiance into ordering one of them in 1978. That little son of a gun got between 41 and 44 mpg on the hiway consistently! (Probably had the Iron Duke?!) But many other problems persisted and with no dealer/factory help, she sold the car and got a Trans Am. Fuel mileage and tire wear were reduced 50%, minimum! But, I have digressed.

Thanks for any clarification you can offer on the Iron Duke. John

Actually I think the 1.8 is a Brazilian motor. It runs great in the Firenza though and gets great mileage. Last year we couldn't give away our other J car, an '84 Cavalier convert. This year with the price of gas, we could have sold 10 of them!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 85CieraHoliday

The Iron Duke was a 2.5L (151 ci) 4 cyl. engine built by Pontiac from 1978-1993. It was used in Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera/Cruiser Omega, Calais, and Starfire models from 1978-1992 (1993 2.5 engines were only offered as the base engine in the S-10/Sonoma trucks). They also saw a few years as the base engine in the F-body cars. They ranged from 84-120 hp depending on the year. Vin code R.