1937 Dodge Brakes

tfoul

I cannot get pressure in my brake system. I have had the master cylinder and all four wheel cylinders rebuilt. I have replaced some worn lines and replaced all the copper washers. I have bleed the system 3 different ways including suction and still cannot get a solid pedal. Does anyone have any ideas??

Jesse

Good Afternoon,

I had just the opposite problem; brakes would not let go after pumping the pedal. Look on page 5 in the Discussion Forum for 1937 Brakes Sticking. Some of the info I received may help. From what I have learned, the check valve at the outlet of the master cylinder is what retains some pressure after the pedal is applied (it only allows so much pressurized fluid to return to the master cylinder, holding some pressure in the system if you have to re-apply the brakes). When my brakes were sticking, I tried to use the master cylinder (2) ways, without the check valve, and with relief slits in the check valve. Either way the system held no pressure. Is the check valve installed, and installed correctly? My problem was an incorrect master cylinder piston (too long, would not allow the pressurized fluid into the relief port. With correct lenght piston and unaltered check valve, I had brakes in 20 minutes. Hope some of this helps.

Dodge55

• 1 month later...

Have you resolved your brake problem? I have a similar problem except that the first push on the brake goes way down and then the second pump is pretty solid. I have tried normal bleeding, the suction method and even a push (low air pressure) method and the problem continues. I see no signs of any leaking fluid so I am not sure what to try next.

• 2 weeks later...