different model A's

Putnam_Ct

My Father is working on a 31 model A. I am trying to help him figure out which model he has. The tag in the engine compartment is unreadable.

He does know that it is 4 drs, Murray body style. But how do we determine is it 140, 155, 160 or 170?? Is there some body lines or styling that tell the difference?? Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

Guest HeyPop

Check out your local library for a copy of "The Model A Ford Album" by Clymer. It's also a great book to have on your shelf as reference and just to have on-hand. You can often find a copy on eBay or from FAXON Auto Literature where I purchased mine for $20 + $4.95 s&h. Good luck on the restoration. 'Keep the old tin rolling.'

Guest HeyPop

Just as a quickie on a couple models so you can either eliminate or identify with them: The 170 had the wider body section (called a blind back because of the lack of a window) behind the rear door. The 165-C or D, had no exterior cowl lamps like the 155-C Town Sedan did. Plus the 165-D was a Briggs body. I believe there were twin mounted spares as an option on the 155-C as well as the folding luggage rack on the rear. The 160-B had a slanted front windshield. This might or might-not help a little but it's the quickest I could come up with. 'Keep the old tin rolling.'