WAIT A MINUTE! Before printing or pressing "SEND"

I have seen a number of newsletters printing word-for-word some "urban myths" that editors have received from "friends."

"Read and pass this e-mail to all of your friends" is almost a sure-fire-bet that what you are reading is an "urban myth." The most recent that I have seen is the "How to survive a heart attack when alone" myth. This procedure is actually very dangerous, and should not be done unless you know exactly what you are doing.

I would suggest that every time a "friend" sends you an e-mail that says "pass this on to all your friends," CHECK IT OUT. The best place to check is on a website called Snopes.com.

Now... pass THIS on to all your friends. grin.gif

Guest BruceW

I've always made it a point not print questionable or unsubstantiated information and stay away from anything possibly resembling an urban legend. Snopes is probably the best place to search for urban legends and is usually up to date on the latest legends. I know the members think they are doing something helpful by passing along the information they receive but such emails I tend to ignore.

If I have a question on information, I will recheck the source or look for collaberating information. I prefer to have at least two credible confirmations on the validity of any information that is questionable.

I don't want to turn the newsletter into the National Enquirer or the World Weekly News.

Guest Moepar

Another site I've used is breakthechain.org to sift out the 'crapola'. I have gotten so much of it from other club members trying to be helpful. I don't discourage them from sending me items for the newsletter (I've worked too hard to 'train' them to send me ANYTHING at all), but I always check it out & I'll email them the results if I find it falls into the 'crapola' file. Usually when I do that it 'encourages' them to use one of those sites for verification before sending me more.