water outlet neck 282

fred deagostino

I have another question for consideration: Since my donor car had no radiator or outlet neck when I got it I had the guy who made my custom radiator intsall a 1 1/2" neck on the top tank. Now, a year or more later, I find that the original 282 neck (I still don't have one of those) was 1 3/4".

What I do have is a neck from a '37 6 cyl. which according to Kanter uses the same thermostat as the eight, and also will fit my head. If I'm thinking right, the thermostat is the greatest flow resrictor in either application and the smaller 6 cyl. neck should not change anything flow-wise.

Of course if the correct neck for the 8 turned up I could easily have the larger inlet retro fitted to my radiator.

My current plan is the run the smaller neck and watch for problems. I'd be curious to know if this sounds like a fool's game or there's actually some merit to the plan. Fire away.........

Guest imported_Speedster

I remember an old physics rule that 'For efficient flow of liquid or gas, through a pump or fan, the Inlet needs to be Twice as large as the Outlet'. So as long as the outlet area doesn't get smaller than half the inlet, It should be Okay.

Thanks Speedster, that's a neat bit of info., I'm feelling better by the moment!

Oh no, wait, Steamcar's post follows yours mentioning the retaining spring selling for $5 and our friends at Kanter just charged me something like $24 for one.

If I'd known what it looked like I'd have made a sleeve on the lathe to set beneath the thermostat and been done with it. I'll be a little more carefull before I dial that 'Jersey # again.

Thanks again gentlemen.

Guest BigKev

Pricing really depends on what stuff they can get reproduced themselves or have to buy from other vendors. So I always check both Max Merrit and Kanter and sometimes call Seatle Packards for prices and then order from the cheapest place.

For things like gaskets you have lots of options, Ultramatics Dynamics makes nice gaskets. So also check with them. I bought a nice one-piece engine oil pan gasket from them.

Be careful with therostats as the new style thermostats have a smaller opening orifce then the original style. So this could cause flow issues. I order a corret style one from Max Merrit and it also came with a new gasket. I spend an extra $5 and got a new retainer as the old one was more rust then metal.

Guest CaptainBristol

Big Kev: Could you please give more info about "Seattle Packards?" I had no idea there was a Packard parts supplier in Seattle, or the Seattle area. Do you have an address or phone number for them?

Thanks,

Mark in Alaska

Guest imported_Speedster

I found this one:

Seattle Packard Garage

1205 E Pine St

Seattle, WA 98122-3921

(206) 726-9625

Guest CaptainBristol

Thanks, Kev.

Brinton was in Prineville, Oregon. I lost track of him not long ago. It is good to know his parts inventory moved closer to Seattle.