Where is the VIN located on 1921 Studebaker?

On my 1922 Special 6, the VIN plate is located on the side of the drivers side frame rail behind the front axle and can be viewed by looking under the fender. Let us know what you find there. If I recall correctly, there should also be a body identification plate on the firewall, engine side.

Joel

VIN number is the Vehicle Identification Number. This is the number that is on the vehicles title.

On early cars (such as Studebakers of the 1920?s) the number used by most states for the VIN was the engine number. On every Studebaker, I have ever owned of the 1920?s era the engine number was used on the title for the VIN. At a later date auto manufactures started using an assigned VIN for each car and that would appear on the car usually on the drivers side of the dash next to the edge of the windshield.

Studebakers of the 1920?s had three separate identification numbers, the engine number, the frame serial number and the body number. Of these three, the engine number was the one used on car titles of this period for what we now call a VIN number.

• 3 years later...
Guest sean o bennett

I have a 21 sp six and some extra parts , email with needs and I will see if I can help....Mark H has been a great help to me ,as well as his brother Shawn....they are good contacts and friends.....

• 10 years later...
2 hours ago, john.pinchbeck said:

Hi, I am missing engine timing cover, left side brake backplate and calormeter - all for a 1927 Studebaker Erskine (British market) .

Can anyone help please ?

I believe your car will have a Continental engine, and the part you are looking for should be common to other makes of vehicles that used the same engine; not to mention, stationary Continental non-automotive powerplants.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

3 hours ago, john.pinchbeck said:

Hi, I am missing engine timing cover, left side brake backplate and calormeter - all for a 1927 Studebaker Erskine (British market) .

Can anyone help please ?

I suggest you start a new thread for this one. 

Title it 'Erskine parts wanted' or something similar.