Head gasket for 248 ci and 263 ci the same?

Guffin

Guest sixpack2639

Jan, the last year for the 248ci was 1950. They were replaced by the 263ci in 1951. I believe there are enough differences between the two that the head gasket is not interchangable but I'm not 100% sure. There are also differences between the head gasket for a Dynaflow equipped car (thinner for higher compression) and a manual transmission car (thicker for lower compression). Carl

EDIT: After checking Bob's Buick catalog I must again eat my words. As listed:

HG-343 :Head Gasket 37-53 s.40-50. Which to me would include all 248ci and 263ci engines. Here is a link to it... http://www.bobsautomobilia.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/SID=1142138729.18082/page=product.html/product=107 . Carl

Thank you Carl. There are some High Compression gaskets on Ebay. I don't know if it will make any noticeable difference in gas consumption compared to a standard gasket. I have a 263 ci engine in my 1940 56s. Gas is very expensive here in Sweden.

Jan

Jan, High compression ought to give you more power. Gas consumption however will be a direct effect of how much you put your foot down when you experience all that extra power. High compression would also dictate a higher octane gasoline ( more costly here in the US) but as I understand it, the high compression in that vintage year may not be high enough to warrant higher octane fuel.

Guest ZondaC12

actually i believe higher compression ratio is supposed to be more efficient. thats why diesels are so efficient. i think more compression means (obviously) a stronger bang, but as a result of that more of the fuel is used in pushing the piston down and less ends up wasted as hot air.