Atlas tire tool

Guest oakland

Guest oakland

Does anyone know how an early (1920 era) Atlas tire tool works? It has three arms with hook like ends with a crank in the middle? When the crank turns, the hooks extend and retract. I assume this is to work on the split rims on these early cars, but don't know.

Guest De Soto Frank

There've been pics of these posted around this forum before...

Apparently, certain kinds of demountable "split-rims" require this "rim-jack" to "shrink" the rim so that the tire may be removed/installed more easily...

I'm thinking that 1920's Buicks were one make that needed these ?

confused.gif

Guest Debby Soucia

We have one of those for our car. We are hoping club members will show us how to use it too. I will watch this with intrest so see what is said about it.

Debby

We are liable to get strong opinions about these tools but here goes! They sound like something good but none of the rim manufacturers in the old days recommended them. Too easy to spring and ruin the rim and not needed of you use regular straight tools with proper technique.

Guest oakland

The reason I asked this question is that I have a 1929 Oakland with wood spoke wheels. The split rim and tire comes off of the spoke section. The tire is mounted on a split rim that is held together by a clamp. I had to change an inner tube last summer, and it took me about 4 hours to get the split rim apart the tube changed and the rim back together. I know there has to be a better way. I know where I can buy one of these Atlas tire changers, and was wondering if it would be worth it.

Yes, this is commonly called a "Rim Tool". I have used them many times to replace tires on my prewar Buicks. They make the job of removing and installing tires on split rims much easier.

Remove the rim and tire assy from the wheel and release the air from the tire.

Place the rim tool inside the rim and extend the screw leg next to the clamp to release the pressure on the clamp.

Unclamp the rim and remove the rim tool.

Using your tire iron, pry the rim from the tire by forcing the rim to spiral away from the tire. (This makes the rim smaller than the ID of the tire and allows easy removal)

Partially inflate the new tube and use corn starch to lubricate the new tube and flap.

Insert the tube and flap evenly within the tire.

Place the rim inside the tire by prying the spiral out of the rim while inserting it into the tire.

Insert the rim tool and extend the screw leg next to the clamp until you can latch the clamp.

Inflate the tire while checking the clamp to be sure it stays clamped.

Congratulations, you just changed the tire!

Mark Shaw