56 LIMOUSINE RESTORATION

jaxops

Just a quick update. The car is headed to paint finally. The doors will be painted off of the car and paint the body. Finally, someone who knows how to paint a classic car! I have had a bit of luck with 2 restoration shops. I was amazed at the amount of chrome accessories in these cars. Most of the interior metal is chromed. All of mine were pitted. Many thanks to New England Chrome Pating Inc from East Hartford. They are doing an amazing job with my door handles, repairing my broken turn signal lense frames, all of those crazy spears on the quarters, etc.

I also lucked out with D+M Restorations in Greenville, SC. They finished both clocks, and did beautiful work. They did a 1 week turn around on my blower motors and window motors. They currently have 2 rusted up blower motors, my radio amp and speaker, turn signal housings, and the A/C switch.

Once I get components repaired, then we have to re-assemble but rewire the car first. YNZs is making up a stock engine harness, and I was able to get the A/C and window motor harnesses. The rest will be "run new wires and hook 'em in." When we stop over at the shop, my wife is usually pulling another switch or part off that needs rpairing before I come out of the office with Mr. Ed. He was suitably impressed.

My only trouble is a few of the parts "lost" at the first shop. Slowly they have been surfacing, so we are hoping that we get them all back. Hoping to be running in May 06, and headed to Hershey in OCT 06!!

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Despite the most irresponsible efforts of the "barbarian horde" that dis-assembled the car, we are slowly getting it back together. Ed Murmillo has it all painted a deep black. The roof was his biggest hurdle to paint evenly and without any drips.

I found that although my favorite fastener company took the week off to go to Carlisle, but I was able to get enough fasteners to keep my restoration moving ahead from a local company that bought up a supply of auto clips and moulding retainers. Hopefully they will be back to work this week.

The autronic eye is back from Mr. Kris in New Jersey, and it is like new. Original Auto Interiors of Michigan is supplying brand new gray broadcloth for the interior. Yes, the upholsterer installed velour on my rear armrests even after every sentence about interior that we made ended with "broadcloth"....unbelievable! I don't think he knew the difference, seriously. He does now and hopefully we can get him scheduled to start in next week.

YNZs completed my wiring harnesses for the tail lights, rear A/C, and power windows. I am still waiting for the engine harness. The line was pretty long, and my order is JAN 06 and they will be just getting to it soon.

New England Chrome has almost completed the finishing work. They still have 1 door handle and the turn sognal brackets. One was broken and it had to be repaired. The grille is being buffed out locally by Sean of Walt's Water Works in Va Beach. Lots of pieces, but he volunteered so I let him.

Lots of chrome being put back on the car. The rocker panels are going on and Sean from the grille job will finish them up and deliver them Monday.

Progress!!! The wife approved of the paint job, so it's looking good for an end of May completion!

• 2 weeks later...