Help, Having trouble removing old accumulator.

I was in the process of replacing my old accumulator but I am having trouble removing the old one. I was using a 5/16 allen wrench which fit fine but I can't seem to get the accumulator to budge. I don't want to use too much force for fear of breaking something. Any hints on breaking the old one loose? <BR>Thanks in advance.<P>------------------<BR>

How does the brake fluid look? If it is black, then you may have some rust built up on the threads. <P>Forcing it slightly shouldn't cause a problem. However, there is so much plastic on the Teeves unit, you are right to be cautious. <P>If using slightly more pressure doesn't work, try calling the dealer's service department or a good brake shop to see if they have any tricks. <P>Joe

Guest wally888

Mine was REALLY tight also! Think I grabbed the base w/ a pipe wrench and held.<BR>Even tho I thought something would break, it didn't.<BR> Hope you have new "O" ring seal!<P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://www.reatta.net" TARGET=_blank>www.reatta.net</A> has supplemental info re.88, 89 and 90 Reatta Brakes.<BR>Please inform me of any new info, info needing editing or errors. A work in progress.

Thanks for the information. You're probably right, I have a 1990 and I've got 102k miles on the car so I may wait until I get the brakes flushed. I've had my coupe since 1992 and I purchased a new car last summer. I'm just trying to keep the maintenance up on my Reatta until I can sell it this spring. All of the discussion regarding the brake problems is scaring me and taking the fun out of driving it although I love this car. Thanks again for the input.<P>------------------<BR>

an oil filter strap works great for removing the accumulator.<P>Has anyone found a socket to fit the pressure switch?<P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

Barney......I started with an adjustable wrench. I couldn't budge it. My neighbor master mechanic tried (275 lbs); couldn't budge it. Finally got a hammer and cold chisel on the flats. That broke it loose and the wrench took it off. The threads looked 'rusty' as did the inside of the valve. New switch went on without a problem. Coated the o-ring and threads with fresh DOT-3 fluid and spun it on.

I had to use much more force than I was comfortable with to break loose the accumulator........if i were doing it again I would take Barney's suggestion.......Dan