ventiports/portholes which way

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

Here is a pic of the portholes I picked up for the Rendezvous - the directions tell me which way they go, but I thought I would get opionions to see what others think. They graduate in thickness from the rounded end being the slimest to the pointed end being thicker. Looking back over the years of portholes, it is questionable, especially when looking at the 61's

Thoughts?

post-30591-143137886051_thumb.jpg

I agree with the above, the "holes" should be "aimed" backward, to simulate exhausts, a la the Allison engines on the P-38 fight, after which portholes were originally designed....although, the original '49 portholes were symmetrical.

Straight Eight: Those look great. Serviously, all Buicks should have portholes (except, maybe, Centurions and Rivieras!)

Lamar: Too many asterisks?

Guest my3buicks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the way I did em on my Rainier blush.gif </div></div>

Do you have the pointed thicker/wider end forward? Hard to tell in the pic

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Lamar: Too many asterisks? </div></div> So noted, and corrective measures completed...I guess I'm also a dumb***

Guest imported_Thriller

Keith - you are making me question how I would go about it...and my '61 is about an hour away, so checking isn't easy (typically had it in a small garage, so I don't think I have any good photos).

Which ones are these portholes? I remember someone (wasn't it Lamar) putting the ones they got on a riding mower after being disappointed. We'd like to put some on the Rainier to dress it up a bit more.

Straight eight - what year is your Rainier? At first glance, I see your door handles are body colour, whereas on our '06, they are chromed.

Guest my3buicks

Derek, I got the "Heritage" edition set from the Sloan Museum, quality is very nice, many dealers used these to dress up there cars after the Park Ave came out with them a few years ago. Had them within a couple days after calling the order in. The set I had on the 02 where of even better quality, but cost twice as much also. I actually like the look of these better though. These come with mounting location instructions, etc. I liked the idea of whatever profit going to the Sloan also. Pick of Package attached.

post-30591-14313788607_thumb.jpg

Guest Straight eight

Took delivery on October 22,2004. One of the first out. Never again. Dont listen to what they say, give em a year or two before buying a new model. confused.giftongue.gifcrazy.gif

Guest my3buicks

here is the 61 portholes clearly showing the higher part of the porthole toward the front - so maybe it's whatever floats my boat when I put them on?? Putting them on this way would be opposit of the directions, maybe Buick di it wrong in 61?

post-30591-143137886075_thumb.jpg

Guest Straight eight

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Friend from Howell--what did you buy? </div></div>

After one problem after another I took the Rainier back to the dealer and got a Park Avenue (with portholes that were added as soon as I got home). Best deal I ever made. First tank of gas was 35mpg. Winter driving not as good, but if on the highway even in cold weather she gives me 31mpg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe Buick di it wrong in 61?</div></div>

Whatever Buick did in '61 it had to be right, just because that's the way they did it! I do believe that having the thicker part in front on the '61 example makes it look more like the intended "vent" than a "scoop." But you can't really make a direct comparison between old and new, because of the distinct teardrop shape of the new ones.

The designers of the add-ons seem to have hedged their bets. They look more like a vent with the point toward the back, but it might have completed the effect better if they had made the leading (rounded) edge the thick side, too.

I think the folks saying "the point goes toward the back" are right, but I also think you're right to question why the trailing edge is thicker that way. Since it's impossible to have them meet both these criteria--rounded and thicker in front--I'd say you're better off getting the outline shape right (point toward the rear) and not worry about the more subtle thickness aspect. Or... is it time to do some modifications?