engine miss

babybuick

Guest F14CRAZY

It's often the coil pack/ignition module. The best fix is to go with the newer Delco version with the round coils instead of the old Magnavox with the square coils.

In short: request a coil pack from a '95 Park Avenue. It'll bolt up and the connector will be fine. Should be $50-60

How do you "check spark plug wires"? I recently had a miss at steady state cruise that I spent a month tinkering with and wouldn't believe that wires would cause it. Finally replaced the wires (under $20 at NAPA) and problem was solved. Do the simple stuff first. smirk.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

I have personally seen arc-ing between a terminal on a coil pack to another (not a Reatta). You could hear/see it. I'm assuming it's from bad plug wires

If the wires are over 5years old or 50,000 miles replace them, the heat under the hood drys them out. Also re check the coil pack(s) measure the restance from tower to tower on all 3 they should be really close, you can do the same for the underside to check the primary's. the readings should all be similer. Also check the compression to be sure.

OK, Here is where I'm at. New correct plugs, old ones were wrong. Coil pac from a Grand National was tried and made no diff. I opted to have a timing chain & gear pac installed, not compleated yet BUT, found that the crank pully (vibration dampner) is cracked. The front cover showed that it was about to start leaking water and was leaking oil. Cam chain tensioner is very worn. Cam chain is streached a little (105,000 miles) Crank senser was a cheapy. So the timing pac turned out to be a good choice. Should be done in the next couple of days. Will post the results. I dont know how the shop checked the plug wires but they said that they were good. This shop built a 900HP Buick V-6 w/ twin turbos in a Ford Courier P.U. Same engine w/o turbos is now in Chev S-10. I trust their opinon. They know the 3800 V-6's. It is some of the Compooter stuff that gets em.

Guest F14CRAZY

About the plug wires...

A while back a user here said he still is using the original plug wires on his '89 or so Rivi. He said the resistance is still low when checked with ohmmeter. But it seems to me like the insulation would be the problem, not resistance

To update where I'm at on the engine miss. During the cleaning of the parts it was found that the front cover (timing chain cover) is cracked in 3 places. The shop said that whoever worked on this car before I bought it didnot know what they were doing. ie cracked crank pully, & cracked front cover. also the oil pump does'nt look good at all. Should be done first part of next week.