Engine crossrefrence

mattgrant

Your question is not clear..........

"Will the block and heads work on a '91".... if you put BOTH the heads and block from an earlier model in a '91 body, it doesn't care. You will need to transfer or keep all the '91 electronics.

You said you already knew the intake was different. So basically you put the entire engine (block, heads, intake) from the earlier engine into the late body.

no i havent i have a guy wanting the engine out of my 88 reatta for his 91 but he wasnt sure if they had the same block and heads (cams and stuff) and if the intake from his 91 will bolt up to the 88 heads i thought they would just needed to make sure before he bought it

It is a question that has been explored on some other sites also. The L27 intake "should" bolt up to the earlier engine (LN3), but there may be a difference in the coolant passage from the later model head to the manifold. There were evolutionary changes as time went on, and the mid '90's engines, the L36 I think, did have some changes to make them less compatible with earlier ones. I believe the basic block and rotating assembly of the LN3 is the same, although the cam is different on the L27. It will interchange with the LN3 cam but the cam chain assembly has a different fastening to the cam so the later model timing set would need to be installed if the cam is changed. The cam that is already in the '88 block should work okay as is. This area is a little murky, and it would be interesting if this works out. Keep us informed if possible.