Stuck Distributor

Guest pkullmann

Guest pkullmann

I have a 1929 Model A that I am attempting to replace the condenser. However after removing the distributor bolt the dist. will not come out. I'm guessing that its got a little rust. I would pull out the condenser from the front but the heat sink from the manifold is in the way. Anybody have any suggestions on how to get the dist. out.

thanks

PGK.

• 3 weeks later...

I know some really want to kill me for saying this.

Just penetrating oil is not going to work. If it is stuck from rust, than penetrating oil will not get into the rust. I have never seen it happen and I have tried.

Heat and shock and proper brute force are your options.

You can try heating the head around the dist with a torch. Your goal is to get it up to around 300 degrees. When oil starts to smoke. Then you can try some pentrating oil it might soak in.

With the dist it is tough to do, but you can sometime do careful blows in the right places and free up stuck parts.

Some times it takes several trys of both to get it free.

Here is a picture of a tool to help:

Dist tool

You might also want to go to fordbarn.com and ahooga.com for a more active board.

Guest Silverghost

I often have luck with one of those Plastic Wrenches with a rubber strap that Sears sells...

Use the largest one...work it back and forth to break up the rust!!! An oil-filter wrench can also work well!!! You can also try tapping on the housing lightly with a plastic head hammer or a block of hard wood. Take your time...Heat is helpful also to break-up the rust!!!

If things are really rough you can try a three jawed slide hammer !!! I have one of these and it works very well!!! Don't over-do the pounding!!!

When you do get it out...smear a bit of Anti-sieze lube on it before you replace it...This will keep it from sticking again!!!

Good Luck!!! Let us know how you make-out???

Snyder's Antique Auto in New Springfield, Ohio, sells a Model A distributor removal tool. I believe it is a copy of an original Ford tool. Model A distributors are known to be extremely tough to remove, and, the beating method could break the cast distributor which will remain stuck in the cylinder head thus making the distributor and head both junk.

• 3 weeks later...